Just a few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrMiyagi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I've got my 10g setup now and it's been doing pretty good. It has completely cycled and i've stocked it with some fish. Right now i have 1 powder blue gourami, 3 orange flame tetras(von rio tetras), and 2 neon tetras(plus one from my uncle's tank). They are all doing ok, the gourami is a bit on the aggressive side but just when it comes to eating. He doesn't mess with the other fish, he just eats faster than they do. I also HAD 2 snails in there but one was suicidal and crawled out. He's been out for maybe 2 days but he's alive and going still 8O .

There is one small problem though. On my gourami I noticed, not too long after i got him, that he had a rough patch on his scales. It's towards dorsal fin and it doesn't look bad or anything but it's kinda odd. Then on one of my flame tetras I see a kinda red spot behind his left pectoral fin. On all the other flames it looks similar but it might just be their little organs. This one looks like it's a bit more raw. I don't know if i'm over reacting but i just wanna make sure everything is going ok.

Should i be worried? I'm already raising the temperature a bit anyways to help out my uncle's neon. But should i add some salt just to be on the safe side?

Hi mrmiyagi, could you answer the following questions that you havent already so we can help you out better? And any pics would be great too. Thanks!

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
9A~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Ok, the tank this is happening in is a 10g. I'm running an aquaclear 20 on it with a normal sponge block in it, a little bit of carbon, and some EHFISUBSTRAT in there too. It runs at 100 gph. The tank has been setup for about a month now. I introduce the fish last week. I have:
1 male powder blue gourami
3 orange von rio tetras
2 neon tetras
2 gold snails
All the fish are small. none of the tetras are over an ince yet and the gourami is about 1 3/4 inches.
When I got them I did a 15min acclimation with them all. Adding a bit of water every 5 min.
Right now i'm feeding them flakes but i wanna go buy some bloodworms and spirulina disks just for some variation.
I do 25% water changes weekly and wanna do a 50% every month. Haven't hit the one month mark yet.
My chem lvls are:
Ammonia- 0.1ppm
Nitrite - .25ppm
Nitrate - 7.0ppm
pH - 7.0
GH - 120ppm
KH - 70ppm

Last night i noticed that one flame tetra did have what looked like a sore behind his left pectoral fin. The gourami has a rough spot on his right side towards his dorsal fin. It looks like the scales have been scraped and are like peeling.

maybe i could get a webcam today to take some pics but I don't have a camera right now to take pics of them.

Back
Top Bottom