just an update on my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evenings

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just thought I'll give everyone an update.

My girlfriend and I started with 30 gallons and it looked like this.
newsw001.jpg

you can say we saw the brick wall before we smacked into it so we decided to upgrade. we now have a 65 gallon and it looks like this.
jun04-01.jpg

jun04-02.jpg

this is our Yellow tang and Psychedelic Spotted Mandarin
jun04-03.jpg

specs of our set-up is listed below.

We still consider ourselves newbies at this. We'll keep everyone posted. :D :D

Very nice! How much LR do you have in there for the Mandarin? Do you have enough? And what did you do with the 30 gal?

Good luck on your tank. Be sure to keep us updated with pics and new entries.

Nice tank! Are you going to make it into a reef tank or a fowlr tank. You could buy some mushrooms with your lighting system you got and maybe a few other soft corals.

duaumun said:
Very nice! How much LR do you have in there for the Mandarin? Do you have enough? And what did you do with the 30 gal?

we have about 46lbs of LR in there.. we will continue to add 5lbs of rock a week till we reach 80 or so lbs.

the 30 gallon is now empty and might get trashed.. that tank is old and has been through a lot.

for now its a FOWLR but with the help of this forum it will mature to a reef system. ill keep you updated.

Cool! I just bought a 40gal. with a filter and heater out of the paper for $40 and it will be a FOWLR tank. :mrgreen:

are you curing your LR everytime you add some? If not, You are risking an amonia spike. Also, are you feeding your mandrin supplemental food? Because If this is a new tank I doubt you will have a sufficient copopod population to feed it. Most people suggest waiting a good year to allow the tank to establish itself before introducing a mandrin.

What do you feed him?

RocketSeason said:
are you curing your LR everytime you add some? If not, You are risking an amonia spike. Also, are you feeding your mandrin supplemental food? Because If this is a new tank I doubt you will have a sufficient copopod population to feed it. Most people suggest waiting a good year to allow the tank to establish itself before introducing a mandrin.

What do you feed him?

we are adding cured rock. i think 5lbs every week or two is safe. we bought algae flakes for the mandrin and he seems to like it for now.

Don't trash the 30. use it as a qt or hospital tank. you could also use it to breed pods for yer manderin.

darb2 said:
Don't trash the 30. use it as a qt or hospital tank. you could also use it to breed pods for yer manderin.

I dont have room for the 30 anymore.. for a QT i was thinking about a smaller 10 gallon

Great Tank! Maybe you can trade your old tank in for a new smaller one plus maybe a little cash. Just a thought. Like your tank. Keep us posted with some pics. :wink:

revhtree said:
Great Tank! Maybe you can trade your old tank in for a new smaller one plus maybe a little cash. Just a thought. Like your tank. Keep us posted with some pics. :wink:

thanks man..the tank is only in its infancy, it will mature to a full reef system. more fish to come in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom