Just bought a 15 gallon tall tank to see if I like the hobby!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiretred

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398108904.107027.jpg

I just added the air stone today because of my concerns of dissolved oxygen being low in the lower part of my tank. I have my heater set to about 76-78 and I have filtration good for up to 20 gallons... Which will be the next thing I do... Get a better/higher capacity filter.

Once I don't kill any of the fish I'll consider real plants but I'm taking baby steps.

I ran the tank for a week or so, added tetra safestart and added the fish about 2 hours later. 5 platys, 5 guppies, and 2 snails because why not?!

I am currently trying to establish my bio filter and until then I bought a ammonia neutralizer that turns it into the ammonia that isn't acutely toxic. Still hope to get to 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 20 nitrates soon!

Couple questions, how much should I feed them and can someone link a good video demonstrating how to vacuum substrate? And how do you change a filter since that is where your bacteria grow on?

Thanks!
Tiretred

Alright! First thing first, learn how to do a fish-in cycle. You are on the right track, but I think you need a little more research. Here's to get you started. I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

I think your oxygen levels will be perfectly fine with the bubbler and filter you have.

Filters do not need to be changed until they are literally falling apart. To clean them you simply take out the media and swish it in a bucket of old tank water (gently) when you are doing water changes. If yours are falling apart, you can take the old pad out, squeeze the heck out of it into your tank (the water will look gross, but it will clear up fast) and put the new one in. Usually tanks come with at least 2 part to the filter, only change one at a time or you will lose your bacteria and potentially kill your fish.

Hope this helps and welcome to the hobby! This is a great and friendly place to ask questions. :)

Feed your fish as much as they will eat in a minute or two. No more.

To vacuum gravel simply start the water flow in your hose/vacuum stick the tube part down into the gravel, and slowly bring it up. You will notice the cloud of poo/ick being sucked out.

Yeah, I've read that article and one of the other ones I read noted that you could get a compound to turn the NH3 into NH4 which isn't as bad for the fish and will still grow the bacteria you need. Did I read wrong? I have had them for 5 days now and seem to still be swimming nicely and spend time at all levels of the tank. I test my water daily right now for pH and ammonia and do about a 33% water change a day to keep ammonia down.

No you didn't read wrong, just wanted to make sure, a lot of beginners make the mistake of no water changes thinking ammo-lock products will take care of it (which it does, but only temporarily) great to hear your fish are doing well and I hope everything goes swimmingly!

Very cute tank! I bet your little one loves the castle. Like how you matched the gravel colors and plant colors to bring the magical theme together!!!

Back
Top Bottom