Just For Fun: The Dumbest Mistake You Ever Made With A Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few...

maybe 9 or 10 yo and running around the school yard with jars of guppies, selling them for a few cents or giving them away, with a blue container of DeChlor in my hand telling kids to buy some, since we had a million guppies, I was trying to find them homes, so sad they probably all died in a couple days. :(

Going on vacation and leaving my fish tank in the care of a teenager (who had fish since small child and should have known better), and coming home from a 2 day, 1200 mile drive at almost midnight, exhausted, to find my tank with yellow opaque foul smelling water that was a little thinner, but almost the consistency of maple syrup. Then spending about three hours cleaning it. Only lost a some of the fish.

Going on vacation and leaving my tank in the care of my best friend, who had had fish since childhood, and dreamed of being a marine biologist, and had two 55G tanks of her own AND was going through a bad divorce...coming home to about 2 tablespoons of flaked food floating around on the bottom of my 16 G tank with very white Supernaturals sand, and several dead fish and a bamboo shrimp.

Buying 20 berried ghost shrimp, and putting them into a "cycled" tank, but I changed the filter pad every 6 weeks, and overstocked tank. They must have all given birth at the same time and the babies died causing an ammonia spike and a bacterial bloom and the water sparkled like superfine glitter in a completely opaque tank and couldn't see the fish.

Where I changed the filter pad every few days and did Pwc every day or two and added several kinds of water conditioners and bacteria supplements, and overfed. No one at any of the pet stores knew what was happening and every store said to try something else. Finally after two weeks, I came to a store, and a new employee guy said let me get this guy he will know. I explain it all and he is looking at me with saucer eyes as I finish explaining it all and, I say what can I do. And he says......Nothing!!! Don't do anything else.

More or less, you have done too much already. He told me, although not quite all correctly, to just stop changing the filter pad and water and just wait it out for 21 days. (no water testing was recommended):nono:

I know a lot more now that I am here! And it is surprising, some fish actually survived those events! :eek: And YIKES!!!

Awesome! Just realized my bb rifle is only a few feet from my 55.

I'm secretly thrilled that I'm not alone in "wetting the floor" disasters. I recently did a late night WC on said 55 FOWLR and set the HOB skimmer to a seemingly good level and hit the hay.

8-9 hours later I wake up to loud bubbly sounding waterfall Noises from my living room, I get up and see 25% of my tank has drained behind the tank down the wall overflowing my skimmate cup and at least one koralia running high and dry!

I felt like I might not be cut out for this for a few mopey days. :(

I woke up one morning to the HOB filter on my 56 leaking, with a good quarter of the volume of the tank on the floor. I had no idea what was leaking at first and went into panic mode. Ran out to buy a garden hose to drain the tank completely, put all fish in buckets, and moved the whole thing so I could get the stand and the floor dry. It was only because the painted background had ran a little that I was able to pinpoint the leak to where my hob wasn't sitting quite level. Once the stand was dry again I put it all back together and got the fish back in, and was paranoid about that filter for weeks. This all happened only a couple weeks after getting the tank filled in the first place, so I was just sure that I had picked up a leaky tank on Craigslist.

About ten years ago I had 5 tinfoil barbs and red belly pacu in a 55 gallon. Funny thing is they were all healthy and lived in the tank with no problems for three years until I finally donated them. I did love those fish!

I woke up one morning to the HOB filter on my 56 leaking, with a good quarter of the volume of the tank on the floor. I had no idea what was leaking at first and went into panic mode. Ran out to buy a garden hose to drain the tank completely, put all fish in buckets, and moved the whole thing so I could get the stand and the floor dry. It was only because the painted background had ran a little that I was able to pinpoint the leak to where my hob wasn't sitting quite level. Once the stand was dry again I put it all back together and got the fish back in, and was paranoid about that filter for weeks. This all happened only a couple weeks after getting the tank filled in the first place, so I was just sure that I had picked up a leaky tank on Craigslist.

Similar thing happen to me at 1:30 am. I awoke to dripping water on the dresser and noticed the water level was down 2 inches. I unplugged everything and rigged my wc bucket up under the filter. And the water had bubbled the paint on the wall behind the tank and drained down through the carpet and through the pad. It was a long weekend.

When i was experiment with a homemade co2 diffuser, and i messed up the suction, water was spilling every where before i got it stopped.

Bottom line is like what JLK said, and I can't stand it:

If you're dealing with a large volume of confined water and constantly doing maintenance on it, there's going to be water on your dang floor...just no way around it...:banghead::banghead:

I just spilled a bit of Prime on my carpet today during a 50% water change from filling up the cap a bit too much...:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Oh just thought of one. Just last week I had my betta in a hospital bowl for his poor fins. I was doing a complete WC and decided that I'd try to match temperatures by turning the sink to warm. I thought it felt a little warm when I put it in the bowl so I figured it'd be ok if I just let it sit for 15 or 20 minutes. Never thought to check the temperature. When I was acclimating him I noticed he was very agitated but he usually is when I do water changes so I thought nothing of it. I poured him in and plopped the thermometer in it then got distracted for a few minutes.

When I came back my baby was at the surface lying on his side looking pretty much dead. I checked the thermometer and it was 103 degrees in there!!! I panicked and scooped him out and filled half of the cup with super cold water then dumped half the bowl out and did the same thing. I thought for sure I'd just killed my boy but he somehow pulled through it and is fine now, though I wouldn't be surprised if I shortened his life expectancy.

I'm now very careful about temperature matching when I do water changes especially on my littler tanks.

Beneficial Bacteria

About 8yrs ago I had a 50g goldfish tank. I came home from work I day to find my two goldies floating in a milky white tank. Never found out for years what happened, until about a year ago. My daughter, who was 4 at the time, must have overheard me explain or bore my girlfriend about Beneficial Bacteria. We were encouraging her to drink probiotic yogurt drinks at the time. She thought the bacteria in the drinks would be good for my fish!!! Needless to say.....
She's 12 now and we can see the funny side of it!!!!!!!

Well i bought an oscar and put it in a bowl..then a 10 gal and bought a second then moved them to a 30 gal then a 55 then my current 75 then they died

Here is the dumbest mistake I've made by far, and it's so obvious, I didn't even think about it to post. My biggest mistake is assuming that because the best way to get normal plants to grow is to water them, that aquatic plants would need little or no care. After all, their engulfed in water, right?

Lesson learned. Aquarium plants have untold numbers of challenges. The fish are easy, all you have to do is keep the water changed and make sure your numbers are right. Really, with fish your taking care of the water more than you are the actual fish. With plants, you need to consider fertilizer, CO2, CO2 delivery (infusion (DIY or Hi-Tech), liquid, or both), lighting, and more.

Oh, and if you really screw something up focusing on your plants, it could also cost you some or all of your fish! Fortunately, that hasn't happened to me yet. I've been more willing to fail with the plants as I learn than to make an adjustment that I have doubts about and lose fish.

I didn't make it but my sister did, I was probably 11 my sister was 14 and I won a goldfish from the fair so I had him in a small round bowl like how every kid use to have and one day I came walking down stairs and my sister was washing my gold fish with soap and water because he looked dirty ( it was the brownish goldfish) to this day I don't let her go near my tank and its been over 10 years

Just remembered a mistake my mom made when I was a kid.

My dad owned a Cajun restaurant when I was little, and we ordered in live crawfish. When they would come in and he would get them all rinsed off and ready to be purged, sometimes he would find cool looking ones and give them to me. I had blues, a white, some purples... Some absolute monsters and some that were tiny. Even found a baby red eared slider in the bags once. But anyway, I had each crawfish in its own bowl, and my mom and I would go get feeder goldfish to feed them. Well, at one point most of them had died off and I had one bowl with a big monster crawfish in it and one other bowl with a goldfish in it. Not a leftover feeder but a common goldfish that was a few inches long. Which is a mistake in itself. Anyway, while I was at school one day my mom decided she would reduce the amount of space the bowls were taking up by putting the two of them together. She thought the goldfish was big enough to avoid getting eaten. She was wrong. We came home that day to find the crawfish holding the goldfish in its claws like a sandwich and chowing down on it. Man, did my mom feel bad for getting my fish eaten. I still tease her about it.

I've overflowed my far share I tanks. Recently I overflowed my 40g all over the carpeted lounge. Took many, many towels and weeks to dry out correctly. Then I overflowed my 70g that sits next to it. :facepalm:

Don't even get me started about overflowing a tank or returning heavy buckets of water into it just to misjudge and have it splash against the hoods or covers, bouncing off the front glass, running down the front, all over the stand, onto the carpet....this occurs, still, almost routinely to me...:nono::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I'm ALWAYS laying towels down during my water changes as there ALWAYS seems to be some kind of moderate to heavy splashing that occurs, and it's always on our nice carpeted (new) surface in the upstairs loft the tank resides in...:banghead::banghead::banghead:

My first fish tank. Had no clue what I was doing but trying to learn. What mistake does alot of newbies make. I listened to the LFS. I took a sample of my water in to have it tested. My natural PH is 8. I was told that ANY fish no matter what has to have a PH of 7. They sold me a $14 bottle of perfect Ph7.0 and told me to run that stuff in my tank at the recommended dose and it would bring my Ph down to 7 so I could have fish. I immediatly put this stuff in my tank and it immediatly started clouding up and did so to the point you could see nothing including the gravel in the tank.
AFTER my tank looked like it was litteraly running milk in it I read the bottle of crap I had put in my tank it was to balance a tank with PH LOWER than 7 and stated plainly not for use in hard water. Fortunatly I had no fish in the tank but it took me 2 days to get all the gunk out of my tank I had to replace tge brandnew rocks and filter media in my brand new tank. Boy I was hot. Now I read everything and do my own research or ask questions here most of the time both. And never ever ever listen to any one at the lfs!!

Don't even get me started about overflowing a tank or returning heavy buckets of water into it just to misjudge and have it splash against the hoods or covers, bouncing off the front glass, running down the front, all over the stand, onto the carpet....this occurs, still, almost routinely to me...:nono::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I'm ALWAYS laying towels down during my water changes as there ALWAYS seems to be some kind of moderate to heavy splashing that occurs, and it's always on our nice carpeted (new) surface in the upstairs loft the tank resides in...:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Lol, I had stopped using buckets to do my pwc and I use the python, so I just had left it running one time and forgot about it while filling up so it just overflowed like a waterfall over the tank and I got my basement flooded :( I did this like 5 times lol. I should go back to buckets huh :lol:

Lol, I had stopped using buckets to do my pwc and I use the python, so I just had left it running one time and forgot about it while filling up so it just overflowed like a waterfall over the tank and I got my basement flooded :( I did this like 5 times lol. I should go back to buckets huh :lol:

I'm telling you...the buckets, as antiquated and antique as the method sounds, keep you "sharp" and "alert," knowing when you need to stop the syphoning before the bucket overflows, etc.; I know it's a lot of trips to the bathroom tub, but I have kinda gotten used to it...:huh::eek:

Omg! I just did one! I cleaned my tank out last night and just realized I forgot to plug my heater back in!!!! Fish seem fine at 68, but they're african cichlids! Yikes!

I just made another big mistake, luckily no one died from it!

I apparently had forgotten to read my thermometer correctly, normally I keep my temp at 81* but a couple nights ago i noticed that it looked like it was at 71, (i thought that i must have moved the dial during a w/c) which is too low for my betta girls, so i moved the heater dial a couple notches up and went to bed. (A careless mistake right there in itself)
This morning I looked at the thermometer again to make sure the temp had risen, because I thought that maybe the heater was starting to go bad..
Anyways, I took a double check because I saw it was back to what I thought was 71 again, nope....I'm a complete idiot!! It was 92* in the tank! I feel so horrible! No wonder everyone was acting so sluggish!
I'm just glad that I caught it before there were any deaths

I bet people are thinking "why didn't you look at the temp reading on the heater itself" well, I thought the thing was inaccurate because its a 100w for a 28g, I thought that it was too small to handle such high temperatures. Whoops!

Anyways, that's my most recent big mistake

Back
Top Bottom