Just getting started need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice!!

Are you gonna put live plants (I hope - :)) or fake in there?

I agree, some caves would be nice for the fishies! :fish2:

Have you checked out the DIY caves (with slate)? Or are you still looking online?

It is looking good so far!!

Nice!!

Are you gonna put live plants (I hope - :)) or fake in there?

I agree, some caves would be nice for the fishies! :fish2:

Have you checked out the DIY caves (with slate)? Or are you still looking online?

It is looking good so far!!

I was not planning to put any plants in there. My 40 gallon tank has a lot of live plants. My fish are always digging them up and its a large hassle. I am going to keep all those plants in the small tank but I don't want to mess with it in my big tank.

Looks like a synodontis catfish

Oooooh looks like you are dead right!

Synodontis Multipunctatus

These are synodontis with shark like fins which have made them very popular indeed. They can command quite high prices both in pet stores and out of them. These synos grow to around 12 centimeters, so they are not terribly large, and if you have the funds, you can quite happily keep several of them in a 90 gallon tank.
They are also known as the cuckoo synodontis as they have a habit of eating the eggs of other fish and depositing their own in place for the other fish to tend as they grow.

And the picture with that has all the fins, colors and barbells that yours has, Venomous!

I plan to put in a 3D rock background like this.

ForumRunner_20130409_192009.jpg

Then I am going to buy a set of matching rocks and caves that go with the background.

I love it too because it looks real! The problem is the background and all the rocks are going to run me around $500! I think it will be completely worth it though.

Where are you planning on buying the background and rocks from? I just recently purchased some rocks from Universal Rocks. The look really awesome. Check out their website.www.universalrocks.com

Attachments

• image-2001696589.jpg
    image-2001696589.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 34
That's why I don't have a background right now. The cool thing is that it sits in front of the filter and heaters so it looks more natural.

One thought....

My son is setting up a 125g tank and wanted a 3D background also.

Until I pointed out that the one he wanted was 1 solid piece that didn't bend and his aquarium has a support bar in the middle of the top.

So, do you have a support bar in your tank? If so, does the background (that you want) bend - so that you will be able to insert it?

Www.aqua-maniac.com
They don't have a United States website up and running yet but it's coming soon.
You cannot bend these. They will cut them into 2 or 3 separate pieces for you though. I want 1 piece. I plan to remove my plastic top and reinstall it after I get the background in. I know that is probably almost impossible but I have the patience to get it done. I have 2 support bars in my tank.

I've tried to attach a couple of pictures of some rock I just bought from universalrocks.com. For some reason, it's not posting. Check out their website.

Several members have made them for their tanks and i considered it but my husband didnt like the idea and ddnt wanna help me make it so i just bought black postwr board and taped to the back

You know you can google 3d aquarium backgrounds and find diy instructions and videos.. it wouldnt cost but around $50 mayb more depending on what all you have to buy

If I can't do it with water and fish in my tank than I probably won't do it. I don't intend to drain my tank at this point. That's why I don't want a three piece background. You have to silicone it together to get it to look right and I can't do that with water in the tank.

Update, my fish are doing fine but I have 2 problems. 1 is my fault. I didn't do a water change last week and the pleco poop is piling up. The other one is my water won't clear up. Do I need to replace the filter sponges in my AQ110's? Or maybe just clean them out? I have cleaned them out twice since I got this tank running but I didn't do a water change so I didn't do it last week. I am debating buying a third AQ110. I know that is overkill but I would feel better if I had three of them going. Also, I don't have carbon in my filters. Is it really that necessary? I don't even know what it does.

Back
Top Bottom