Just getting started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DRad2003

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi. I am new to fish. I recently got a 5 gallon aquarium. It has a hood, filter, and heater. I would like some advice on where to start with a few small fish, plants, or any ideas really. Thank you.

Welcome! A 5 gallon will be little limited on what fish you can have, but do you have any species that you have in mind? Also do you know about cycling your tank? Im sure someone will chime in with a link to some more information.

Hi, and welcome to Aquarium Advice! :D

First things first - do you know about 'cycling'? If not there are a bunch of threads on it in the 'Getting Started' forum.

When your tank is 'cycled', you can start adding your fish! In a 5 gallon you could a small school of nano fish - Endler's Livebearers, Microrasboras e.g. or a Betta.

Hope I helped a little.

:fish2:

Thank you for the quick replies! It is ok if I am limited to what I can do right now. I'd like to start small and work my way up. I am not sure what species I want. I am not to familar with any other than what I go fishing for. Haha. I have read many of the stickies on cycling already. Also what would be good for the plants and such for this tank?

I looked them up just now and they are some slick looking fish. That's kind of what I had in mind. Now I guess my next question would be how many can go in the tank?

There are lots of different nano fish. Here are some:

Endler's Livebearer,
Mosquito Rasbora (Chili Rasboras),
Celestial Pearl Danio (Galaxy Rasboras),
Sparkling Gourami,
Dwarf/Dainty/Pygmy Corydora

Betta Splendens (this one isn't really classed as a nano fish, but is definitely perfect for a 5 gallon).

African Dwarf Frogs (not even a fish, but still commonly kept in small aquaria).

Some invertebrates you could keep are:

Red Cherry Shrimp,
Amano Shrimp,
Ghost Shrimp (Glass Shrimp),
Nerite Snail,
Mystery Snail (Apple Snail).

Research these and come back to me when you decide which you want. There are more, but I can't think of any. :)

There are lots of different nano fish. Here are some:

Endler's Livebearer,
Mosquito Rasbora (Chili Rasboras),
Celestial Pearl Danio (Galaxy Rasboras),
Sparkling Gourami,
Dwarf/Dainty/Pygmy Corydora

Betta Splendens (this one isn't really classed as a nano fish, but is definitely perfect for a 5 gallon).

African Dwarf Frogs (not even a fish, but still commonly kept in small aquaria).

Some invertebrates you could keep are:

Red Cherry Shrimp,
Amano Shrimp,
Ghost Shrimp (Glass Shrimp),
Nerite Snail,
Mystery Snail (Apple Snail).

Research these and come back to me when you decide which you want. There are more, but I can't think of any. :)

Ok, so I looked up those fish. They are all very nifty. Is there any way to have a mix of them or do they have to be grouped in a certain amount? I guess how many can I safely have in this small tank? Sorry for all the questions. I am a bit lost.

The Mosquito Rasbora, the Celestial Pearl Danios and all the Cories are schoolers so are supposed to kept in groups of 6 or more. You could get away with 4 Cories I suppose... Cories are bottom feeders so will eat any leftover food from the floor.
The Endler's and Sparkling Gourami can be lone or more than one. I would either get one or three Sparkler's though to minimise aggression.
Betta's should NEVER be kept with another Betta, especially males. They will fight to the death. Females can be kept together occasionally but its best left to the experts.

You should only keep one Nerite OR Apple Snail in a tank that size, and you can have as many shrimp as you like. Red Cherries breed prolifically if you provide them with clean water and plants to hide in.

Here a few stocking options:

- 1 x Male Betta
6 x Mosquito Rasbora
1 x Nerite Snail
10+ x Red Cherry Shrimp

- 3 x Endler's Livebearers
6 x Celestial Pearl Danios
1 x Mystery Snail
10+ x Ghost Shrimp

- 6 x Mosquito Rasboras
6 x Pygmy Cories
1 x Nerite Snail
10+ x Red Cherry Shrimp

Of course you can mix it up a bit. :)
Be sure to research the type of food that each of these eats before you buy them; they all eat different things.

Thank you for the help. I will look into what you have suggested. I didn't realize I could do so much with such a small tank. You all say it is limited but that seems to be quite a bit to me. I can only imagine the larger tanks. I guess now I need to figure out the plants.

Mumma.of.two said:
What kind of bulb. Incandessant, CFL, t8, t5, ect? And does it say anything like 'daylight' or 'K'?

All I know is it is an incandescent 15 watt bulb other than that I am not sure. I can just go buy a new bulb. Instead of the guess work if that would be easier. What would you recommend?

Incandescents won't grow plants so you'll need a CFL bulb with a 6500K rating or labeled 'daylight'. 14-15watts will be enough for low light plants like crypts, java fern, anubis, moss, swords, tiger lotus, elodea and hornwort.

Have you decided on the stocking yet? Personally, I'd go with a Male Betta, 6 Mosquito Rasboras and a Nerite Snail, but it's up to you! ;)

Back
Top Bottom