Just getting started.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pisces3473

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is my 55 Long. I've got the JEBO 839 5 Stage Filer - 330GPH. Fluval E-300, and a Top Fin 50 Powerhead. Less than a week old, Crystal clear 7.6ph, 0 Amonia, 0 Nitrite and 40 ppm on the Nitrates. Tiger Barbs, Rose Bards, 3 Mollys, and some other tiny's swimming around. Here's a pic:

Attachments

• 55.jpg
    55.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 120
Pretty tank!

Thank you! I'm not sure where to go from here as far as water. The Nitrates have been holding at 40ppm for 4-5 days now. Do I wait until they're down to 0 and then do a 20% change?

No, you have to do water changes to lower the nitrates. 30-50% a week is a good amount. Plus vacuum the gravel.

No, you have to do water changes to lower the nitrates. 30-50% a week is a good amount. Plus vacuum the gravel.

So is distilled or RO water the only thing I can use to top of the tank, after doing the first half of the water change?

So is distilled or RO water the only thing I can use to top of the tank, after doing the first half of the water change?

Sorry, I'm not understanding your question. What is your normal water change/maintenance schedule? What type of water do you normally use? How long has the tank been set up?

The tank will be a week old tomorrow, I am curious what type of water I should be putting in for the water change. Is distilled or Reverse Osmosis the only kind of water I can use? I don't just want to add tap water as that can kick off another Nitrogen Cycle. Perhaps I have misunderstood something. As to my maintenance schedule I don't have one yet so I can only ask yours and how you do it.

I do about 25%-30% weekly with regular tap water that has been conditioned with Prime. There are a couple different methods of adding it. I have a smaller tank so I just dose my new water in a bucket before adding it in the tank. The other way is to add the prime into your tank first, measuring enough for the total water volume of the tank and then adding the tap water in. Adding more then enough will not hurt. There are a variety of options but many people on here use Prime.

I do about 25%-30% weekly with regular tap water that has been conditioned with Prime. There are a couple different methods of adding it. I have a smaller tank so I just dose my new water in a bucket before adding it in the tank. The other way is to add the prime into your tank first, measuring enough for the total water volume of the tank and then adding the tap water in. Adding more then enough will not hurt. There are a variety of options but many people on here use Prime.

Excellent answer! Thank You! I've been wondering for a while now. I will pick up some conditioner this weekend and do my First water change. I'm sure I'll be fine with and I'll be taking my daughter so she can pick out some new fish. I appreciate the help you two. :thanks:

After speaking with my lfs I decided to wait. Low and behold my nitrates have dropped from 40 to 10. The fish all seem happy and healthy, it's a semi aggresive tank with 12 Tiger Barbs 5 Mollies and some other assorted friends. Any further thoughts about how I should proceed?

You have to do water changes to keep conditions healthy for your fish. Pet store employees are notorious for giving bad advice. Nitrates don't drop on their own without a water change. Please read the link on fish-in cycling.

I will test the water again tonight and likely do a 20% change. I too have received bad advice from pet store employees, however I'm not talking to the 18 year old high school drop out at wally-world or petsmart. I've read the link and I can tell you flat out my tank skipped the Nitrogen cycle and/or it was so short I completely missed it. The tank was seeded to begin with and the only readings I've ever seen are PH 7.6 consistently. Ammonia .25 ppm which is now 0. Nitrites, 0 every time, & Nitrates which were 40 and are now 10. There is nothing absolute in this world and I don't doubt your experience or knowledge, but only communicate what's happening in my tank. I plan to do the water changes and will do them regularly however my tank is only two weeks old, hence my hesitation, to jump the gun and kill everything in my tank. I'm also not trying to kick off another Nitrogen cycle so I likely won't do a 50% change for a while, but will stay with 20% weekly for the first couple months or until other issues arise. I'll rephrase my question: "Given these set of circumstances and the age of my tank, what do you think a good next step would be?

Back
Top Bottom