Desperate to save my fish. Goldfish - high ammonia.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ccualumni

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had this goldfish for 2.5 years. He was kept in a small 2 gallon aquarium. After reading about goldfish I saw that the tank was way too small.

I set up the tank using my tap water that is at about 2ppm for ammonia. I used Seachem Prime, but did not realize my ammonia was that high in our water. I did not cycle my tank as I did not know I needed to do that.

I have tried water changes, added Prime, added some frozen bacteria the pet store gave me and nothing is working.

My fish is starting to develop red in his fins which I assume is the ammonia poisoning him. It looks like he has white bubbles around him. Very tiny bubbles, but as if they are all around him.

He eats when I put food in the tank and he will swim around once in awhile. He mostly lays on the bottom. I was withholding food, but he acts like he is starving.

At this point, I don't know what to do and am desperate to save him. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here he is in his tank.

https://imgur.com/gallery/sfzZEUp

1~What type of fish is afflicted? Common goldfish. Started a new tank and moved him to it. Fish has been lethargic, but is eating. Looks like he has red in his fins and white spots on his body.
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values. Ammonia is now .25 ppm (was at 2 ppm, got it to 1 ppm and now down to .25), nitrites 0, nitrates 0 and ph is 7.4, maybe 7.5
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 26 gallons. Set up for two weeks.
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. Fluval C3, 5 stage filtration, 119 GPH
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? 1 common goldfish, 2 inches.
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? About 4 days ago. I changed 25% of the water, about 6.5 gallons.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? Over 2 years.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? The setup is new. New tank, water, filter, heater, sand and rocks.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Northfin pellets, premium fish food. Fish always ate about 3 pellets per day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom