Just got a 10 gallon with fish...questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iodizedfate

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just picked up a 10 gallon tank with everything for 10 bucks. It came with 4 fish.

a 5-6 inch common Pleco
a 4-5 inch Featherfin Squeaker
a 4-5 inch Pictus Cat
and what looks to be a no kidding 5-6 inch channel catfish

I intend to rehome ALL of them, the pictus is in bad shape and needs tons of clean water and some time to heal and I think he'll be okay.

I have a 65 gallon community tank running right now and was thinking about putting the pictus and featherfin once the quarantine is over. I figured I could find someone that would want the pleco, I'm hesitant to throw him in the 65 for time being because I don't want him to kill my rubbernose pleco.

That leaves the channel catfish.... what are my options? If I had a pond I would just chuck him in there. I have a coworker that I might be able to take him but I get the feeling that she isn't too keen on it. And wouldn't it be illegal for me to just chuck him in a pond someplace? I know they're around here everywhere already.... just trying to figure out.

So far everyone I work with says to fatten him up and eat him :p

Any other suggestions?

Iodizedfate said:
Just picked up a 10 gallon tank with everything for 10 bucks. It came with 4 fish.

a 5-6 inch common Pleco
a 4-5 inch Featherfin Squeaker
a 4-5 inch Pictus Cat
and what looks to be a no kidding 5-6 inch channel catfish

I intend to rehome ALL of them, the pictus is in bad shape and needs tons of clean water and some time to heal and I think he'll be okay.

I have a 65 gallon community tank running right now and was thinking about putting the pictus and featherfin once the quarantine is over. I figured I could find someone that would want the pleco, I'm hesitant to throw him in the 65 for time being because I don't want him to kill my rubbernose pleco.

That leaves the channel catfish.... what are my options? If I had a pond I would just chuck him in there. I have a coworker that I might be able to take him but I get the feeling that she isn't too keen on it. And wouldn't it be illegal for me to just chuck him in a pond someplace? I know they're around here everywhere already.... just trying to figure out.

So far everyone I work with says to fatten him up and eat him :p

Any other suggestions?

The common pleco should not bother your rubber nose, unless the common is larger. Then there might be a territorial battle. The channel cat I would find a new home for. I am a member of another forum called Monster Fishkeepers and there might be a few people on there that would most likely take the channel cat off your hands :)

The common pleco should not bother your rubber nose, unless the common is larger. Then there might be a territorial battle. The channel cat I would find a new home for. I am a member of another forum called Monster Fishkeepers and there might be a few people on there that would most likely take the channel cat off your hands :)

Yeah I know the forum and just did a search today on it and figured that would be the case. I guess it's time to set up an account at another fish forum. :)

Unfortunately the common is 2-3 times the size of my rubbernose and I know that my 65g doesn't have enough hiding places for the fish I have. Wish me luck on finding a home for the pleco :banghead:

Back
Top Bottom