Just got a 55 gallon tank & have some questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shamu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks to the great advice I got from this site a while back I have finally obtained a 55 gallon for my ever growing Pleco. The tank I got was used (people used it to winter their goldfish from a pond). What do I have to do to get it ready for the transfer? clean it? how long do I leave set up before the transfer? The filter has a bit of hard water build up-how do I clean that off?
Also is there any benefit of sand over gravel or gravel over sand?
Sorry about the questions but kind of new to a tank this size.
Any tips on where to place it in my house? I have 2 story with a basement.

Your 55 G

Hello sham...

When I clean a tank, I use standard aquarium salt, warm tap water and a soft sponge. For the hard water stains, you may need to use something a little stronger, but still safe for the tank. Apple cider vinegar should take care of any heavy stains on the glass. I don't use anything else, besides a lot of "elbow grease" if you're old enough to be familiar with the term.

I prefer a standard pea gravel substrate. Sand can be a little difficult from a water change and vacuuming standpoint.

I keep my 55 G tanks in the basement. The temperature there is pretty constant and the fish like consistency. Also, if I get a little messy with a water change down there, my wife doesn't care as much.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Above everything else, have fun.

B

Hi B

Thanks for the advice ( and yes I'm old enough to know what elbow grease means LOL).
You said you keep your 55 gal tanks in the basement, our basement is a little on the cool side do you think that would be a problem?

Shamu

Thanks for the advice ( and yes I'm old enough to know what elbow grease means LOL).
You said you keep your 55 gal tanks in the basement, our basement is a little on the cool side do you think that would be a problem?

Shamu

Hello again...

Most basements are on the cool side. Mine stays at a pretty constant 72 degrees, a litte warmer maybe in the middle of summer. A little cool for tropical fish that like temps in the high 70s. But, put a 100 watt heater at opposite ends of the tank set for 76 degrees and the water temp will be fine. Attach a couple of those small thermometers attached to suction cups and put those inside the tank at opposite ends, so you can monitor the water temp. My tanks have run for a long time with no problems.

PM me if you like and we can talk tank specifics.

B

Back
Top Bottom