Just got a canister!! Now I need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depending on the tank, it's likely new tubes will look like this in a month or four. Some people are lucky, most aren't.

You can also clean them, they make brushes you can run down them, or what some people do is set up a hygrogen peroxide solution and run it through the tubes (and pump) for a few hours. Do NOT do this with ANY media inside, and wash it thoroughly afterwards.

Home Depot (or similar) would let you change them out easily enough. Note one of the biggest pains depending on the setup is some tubing is very stiff, and the spray and intake are very light -- it's often hard to get them to sit in the right place as the tube moves. If you buy tubing, I would opt for the thinnest wall tube you can with the right inside diameter, assuming it fits over the connectors.

Ok I mean if it's going to look like that in a couple of months what's the point really? Also the algae inside won't hurt the fish would it?

Ok I mean if it's going to look like that in a couple of months what's the point really? Also the algae inside won't hurt the fish would it?

I can't answer that because I don't know what is inside. I suspect there are some bad things that might be there from the old tank; the longer it has been dry the less likely.

If it were me I'd probably disinfect everything with a good dose of bleach (maybe 8 water for 1 part bleach) for a few hours, including the filter, but NOT the bio media. I'd mix up a 5G bucket and just run the filter though it (with NO media inside), through the hoses. Then empty it all and fill with tap water and do it again for a while. Repeat. Then finally fill with either RODI water (if you are using it) or tap water with a double dose of PRIME (dechlorinator) and rinse one more time.

Bleach probably won't take all that stuff out (though some will come out) but it ought to kill any bacteria and most parasites and algae that are in it so they won't bother you.

IN a few months when it looks like it again it will only be YOUR bacteria and algae. ;)

Ok then I'll probably go to Home Depot and just for like a rally really close replica.... Also I'm not sure what part is what in the canister. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411330833.010515.jpg this is the top part

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411330877.296705.jpg 2 part

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411330926.721118.jpg 3 part

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411330951.909779.jpg and the last part which has nothin

Ok then I'll probably go to Home Depot and just for like a rally really close replica.... Also I'm not sure what part is what in the canister.

The trays can be used to arrange whatever you want in them. I don't know that particular filter so I am not sure if the flow is from the bottom up, or top down. Figure that out.

In your first picture those are ceramic rings used for bio filtration (i.e. for bacteria to grow on). They never (or rarely) get replaced once infested, you rinse them lightly if lots of crud and only rinse in tank water.

The second are bio balls which are plastic and have the same purpose, but are not very useful in canisters as they lack surface area. I'd recommend getting rid of those.

The third look like bags of activated carbon. Those need to go (unless they are new), and you may or may not want to replace them. Lots of people think they are wonderful, others think not so much. When new they will take tannins and organic matter out of the water often clearing up problems with organic stains (not so much anything else like algae or bacteria). But they only last a month or so, so if these are old, trash them.

I can't tell in the bottom but it looks like there's room there for physical media as well.

If this is a typical fish tank I'd do something like this (in order of where the water comes in first): find some sponge media, wide pores, stiff. This will filter the gross matter out coming through the filter. This also rarely needs changing, just rinse and ring it out in tank water, it also will house some bacteria.

I'd throw away the bio balls, and replace with either:

- More bio media, something like Seachem Matrix or the ceramic rings, or

- Fine sponge-like material, sometimes called "floss" which takes out more particulate matter. These tend to degrade over time, and need to be replaced every few months. Some people don't bother but if you have water cloudy from particulate matter it certainly helps.

Then if you want organic chemical filtering, either more carbon or purigen. I think the latter is better, it is pricy but can be recharged. NO chemical media lasts forever, you do need to replace or recharge every month or three (depending on how much crap in the water), so plan accordingly.

Then (still in order) the bio filter media, either one or two trays.

There are lots of variations on this, and it is really hard to do it "wrong". The idea is you have sponge-like stuff to take out particles, and if more than one kind stiff/porous first. Then chemical if you want it (or you can put these after bio, no big deal). Then bio. You always want bio media, and lots of it to make a home for the beneficial bacteria.

If adding this to an existing tank, do not remove your existing filter at first, leave both running for 2-3 weeks so the bacteria will infest the new. If you can't do that for some reason move a bunch of the media from your old filter into the new, and do regular ammonia/nitrite tests to make sure it took hold.

By the way, at least in the two types I have, when you assemble you need to make sure the trays fit together well, as often the head when attached has negligible extra clearance. If the trays are cockeyed, it will lift up the head and may leak water or air.

By the way, at least in the two types I have, when you assemble you need to make sure the trays fit together well, as often the head when attached has negligible extra clearance. If the trays are cockeyed, it will lift up the head and may leak water or air.

Thx so much and yes in the last pic it was a sponge like media which I threw away cas it was gross ??. Will be getting a new one of that. The bags look relatively new so won't throw them away just a good rinse!!! I will see if I can get something instead of the bio balls. Also I my water is crystal clear so don't need purigen and I will be running another filter with the canister.

The issue is that it can be thicker than you think. It is hard to tell from the outside but a thick layer of sludge forms on the inside over time and begins to restrict flow. They make a brush that can clean them if you don't want to replace them.

Ok then I'll probably go to Home Depot and just for like a rally really close replica.... Also I'm not sure what part is what in the canister. View attachment 250563 this is the top part
I still can't tell if that it is mechanical or bio-media. Is it porous? Does it feel rough or smooth?

I agree that you should ditch the bio-balls.

The issue is that it can be thicker than you think. It is hard to tell from the outside but a thick layer of sludge forms on the inside over time and begins to restrict flow. They make a brush that can clean them if you don't want to replace them.

I still can't tell if that it is mechanical or bio-media. Is it porous? Does it feel rough or smooth?

I agree that you should ditch the bio-balls.

It's bio media I just checked. I'll ditch the balls and get pads instead.

How long would it take Home Depot to make a replica of the tubes? Anyone know

Less than 5 minutes if you can find someone to help you. They have them on spools. They just cut the length you need. Don't get the braided stuff. Just get the regular tubing.

Less than 5 minutes if you can find someone to help you. They have them on spools. They just cut the length you need. Don't get the braided stuff. Just get the regular tubing.

Some still have rolls that a customer service person can cut. Some (my 3 local stores) only sell 10' or longer lengths.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

I'm guessing you need the 1" or 3/4" inside diameter, it's called vinyl tubing and it will be in the plumbing section at home depot, 10' is a couple bucks and you can cut it with your mom's good kitchen scissors, just put them back when you're finished;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For bio filtering I use anything that is not too dense and clogs easily like the white cottony fiber floss. I like the blue fiber stuff that comes in a roll, I cut it and fit it inside the containers in the canister filter without packing it too tight to keep it from clogging, I also use the white rings that are very porous and rough plus I also use plastic scrubbers.

I'm guessing you need the 1" or 3/4" inside diameter, it's called vinyl tubing and it will be in the plumbing section at home depot, 10' is a couple bucks and you can cut it with your mom's good kitchen scissors, just put them back when you're finished;)

Ok thx u very much brook I'll be sure to put the scissors back!!! Does the length really matter though also I'll probably figure the rest about the media. For the ceramic rings, should I just keep the ones that are already in the canister?

Ok thx u very much brook I'll be sure to put the scissors back!!! Does the length really matter though also I'll probably figure the rest about the media. For the ceramic rings, should I just keep the ones that are already in the canister?

I'm not familiar with that filter but if it's like any other pump based product than length matters quite a bit. You'll want the shortest amount of hose possible while not compromising the safety of the filter or tank, you don't want it on a table that can get knocked over..

I'm not familiar with that filter but if it's like any other pump based product than length matters quite a bit. You'll want the shortest amount of hose possible while not compromising the safety of the filter or tank, you don't want it on a table that can get knocked over..

I actually thought it was a quite familiar filter since it's a marineland c360 canister? Haha but I'll measure the length of the ones that came with them and ask for the same exact thing

It should be 3/4" ID for the C-360.

Unless your tank and stand are the exact same size as the previous tank you probably need different sizes. You should buy a little extra and than cut it to length during installation. Just get one big piece.

Post 10, 11 lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Well screw canister got everything setup and put it on and it just started flooding every where I mean gushing gushing water out of the top flooding the carpet. Jeez

Back
Top Bottom