Just picked up my new 75 gallon!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Docker66

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just as the title says! I'm really excited about it, though it will be months before I can set it up. I have a picture of it from the previous owners. Now time to start planning what I am going to do with it! I'm leaning towards a planted community tank. Anyways, was just excited about it and wanted to share the info!

Attachments

• new_75.jpg
    new_75.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,037
Gorgeous tank Docker! I won't try to steer you towards a planted SA cichlid tank. No, really...although that is the perfect size and type of tank for that particular type of theme.

(psst...planted sa cichlid).

You are a better person than I if you can have that tank in your possession and not set it up for a few months. I am weak. I have no will power.

(psst...lake tanganyika cichlids)

You are a better person than I if you can have that tank in your possession and not set it up for a few months. I am weak. I have no will power.

Actually I am weak, I was trying to set it up today! My soon to be wife on the other hand...... Anyways, I would actually love to do a Cichlid tank. It is in heavy consideration as well. Right now I'm just leaning towards a community. Thanks for the comments!

I was not aware of that... My fiancé really likes fancy guppies, would they be compatible with SA Cichlids? Thanks!!

Well, guppies are another thing altogether. That kinda makes the SA theme moot. I wouldn't mix cichlids with guppies. Maybe you can show your finance' pics of German Blue Rams, Angels, pleco's and cories? German Blues have some excellent colors and finnage.

I think she might go for a SA theme, provided I keep my 10 gallon going so she can have guppies. I took her to the lfs and showed her some different Cichlids, she seemed to like them enough. Thanks for the advice!

Good choice Docker! Your finance' can watch guppies and be fascinated with the 55 gal as well. :D

If it's any consolation Mentallylost, the cichlids won...this is a victory for cichlid lover's everywhere.. (y)

The tank came with UGF but I am not interested in using this. Rather, I would prefer a canister filter. What would be the best for me to use? Also, the canopy on the tank came with 5 48' light fixtures and a ton of 40watt bulbs. If I were to use all of these lights, I would need a CO2 injector for plants, correct? If so, any suggestions? I have a lot of time till I can set this up which means I have time to save some money, but still not a lot. TIA again! :D

Fluval is one of the best but I'm sure folks who use others would push theirs. Here's some pics of mine during it's initial set up and trial run:

Under the hood:

Tubing set up:

Primed and pumping:

Look at that flow:

In regard to lights, if you stay under 2wpg, CO2 will not be necessary. Once over it, it is a must. There are tons of DIY CO2 resources in the planted tank forum. Some are quite inexpensive.

My tank is low-light with some low-maintenance plants. Java Ferns, African ferns and a couple of crypts (I just added an amazon sword...just to see if I can grow it out).

HTH.

What is everyone's take on diatom filters? I know they are a pain to maintain, but is it worth it? I like the fluval's too, as well as the eheim's. Decisions, decisions.. :D

LOL, of course I will have pics up. Half the fun of having fish is showing them off! :D

Back
Top Bottom