Just started & need some adivce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twistedmelon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I've cycled my 55litre tank for 3 weeks and got my water tested yesterday and was told it would be ok to add some Danios, I added 5 Danios yesterday and all were fine. This morning I noticed one of the zebra Danios wasn't as active as the others and is staying mainly at the top of the tank and when I fed the fish this morning that Danio didn't take any food but the other 4 Danios rushed to the food. I was wondering if that fish could be stressed. Would it be a good idea to buy a test kit to check the water? I would be really grateful of any advice as I'm worried about the fish. Thanks

I used Api stress zyme + & tap safe when I started up the tank. I had the filter running and the heater on and got my water tested weekly. The other fish seem to be fine and moving around well

In my opinion it is always a good idea to buy a liquid test kit. As store usually use the strip kits which are not all that accurate. Do you what the lvls were showing when they tested the water and said it was OK?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

All I know is they looked ok against the chart, I'm going to get a liquid test kit today and do a test later. I am worried the water might have changed since putting the fish in.

It is very possible for something to have changed but without knowing the number then and now it is hard to say for sure. When you get your test kit and test the water post them and then ppl can help you out even more.

Thanks, I'm picking up a test kit later and I'll post my results once I've done a test

When I started, my LFS told me I could add fish after 3 days!
I had to do frequent watcher changes, a and now that the tank is 2 months old all my fish survived

I don't see why your fish would die, unless you haven't done any pwc ?

I get the feeling you are not familiar with the cycling process, please correct me if I'm wrong.
This is the process that converts fish waste (ammonia) into a less harmful (nitrate). A beneficial bacteria will grow in your filter that will take care of this process but it needs time to cultivate, usually a month to two months depending.
Since you have fish in tank already, you are doing a "fish in cycle" and what you need to do are daily or every other day water changes to keep the ammonia levels a bit safer for the fish.
I recommend doing some reading on the 'nitrogen cycle" since I only skimmed on the top of this subject, believe me it is not difficult, we have all done it at some point and this is what will keep your fish alive and healthy.

Thanks for the adivce, my readings are ph = 7.6, high range ph = 8.0, Ammonia = 0.25 ppm, Nitrite = 0 ppm, Nitrate = 5.0 ppm. Do I need to do a daily water change and if so, by how much?

As long as there is ammonia or nitrites (know you are showing 0 just for future reference.) showing I would do water changes. .25 ammonia isn't that bad but still can be stressful to the fish and long time exposure to that can make a difference on the fish's health. You really want 0 for the ammonia. I would do a water change when you get a change the just monitor the water now that you have a test kit. The next time it shows ammonia do another water chance. Till you get to the point the test doesn't show any. What kind of water conditioner are you using btw??

Thanks John2.0, I've got a bottle of API start up and API stress zyme+. When I do a water change do I have to add the tap safe into the new water before I put it into the tank? Also does the water have to be the same temperature as in the tank? I'm definitely going to do a water change later.
What percentage water change would you do?

The temperature should be within a couple of degrees at least but doesn't necessarily need to be the exact temp. Who do you do a water change? Do you use a bucket?
I would do atleast about 50% water change if it was me.

I use a large plastic bowl, do I need to add the water conditioner into the new water before adding it into the tank?

I can tell you how I do it which is I add the conditioner to the tank (the amount needed for the water I am replacing back into the tank.). Soo like my 29 gallon I usually remove 15 gallons soo I add enough conditioner to the tank for that amount of water. Fish have always been fine. Now some ppl dose every bucket full of water they add. I don't see this as necessary but some do. The reason I don't see as necessary is because I use a python to do water changes on my other tank and add the conditioner the tank before the fresh water hits it.

Back
Top Bottom