just started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueandgoldaquarium

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
An acoount here that is, not with reefs or nanos. Happy to get back Into a forum. Don't fault me for my spelling/grammar for I am using a tablet that I am still getting used to lol. So as for my tank I havea 30 long with a ten'gallon a baffled out sump with t5 156w his and a Rio 1100 for my return and an eshopps nano overflow. Its been running for about a year now but I only just added corals a few months ago. As for some issues I'm seeking advice on, got limited coralline algae growth, some faster growing brown algae. Got a dying flower pot coral which I can't seem to identify an issue with. My torch has some days where it does absolutely amazing and then stretches of days where it looks like its going to just fall apart. Have a few other corals, brain that is loving life, chalice that could have better color but no observable issues, hawkins blue echinata that like the chalice could be a little more blue but is overall doing pretty good. I have 2 clowns and a yellow tang. As for inverts, a massive defficiency of turbos/atreas, a few ceriths th:Dat leave interesting trails of excess mucus randomly throughout, a coral banded that moulted yet again yesterday, and a bunch of hermits. Well that's about it thanks in advance for the advice and I hope I can contribute to the site overall:D

Either get an RO/DI unit, or get it from a reliable pet store that has a good RO/DI system. That could be the root of your problems. Also make sure you have plenty of water movement and a good "clean up crew." Also, make sure you do not have too many fish in your tank, especially if it is thirty gallons. If you really want to do a reef tank a 30 gallon tank should not have many fish. A goby and a clown etc.

As far as fish I have two ocellaris and a smaaalll yellow tang. For a clean up I have one small brittle star about 4inches and was a hitchhiker, six nassarius, 17 or so blue/red leg hermits a coral banded and two emerald crabs and three cetprith snails, I can't seem to find a good place for snails. Turbos are 399 and 599 depending on size. I'm going to use them for the ro
I think I lack sufficient water changes as well which I know is a lazy mistake but being in the navy doesn't give me a lot of time off

The yellow tang is too big for that tank. You really should bring it back. That tang needs at least a 55 or higher and even 55 gallons is pretty small.

The yellow tang will either have to be re homed or the tank upgraded. Typically a 6 foot tank is required to keep them, they LOVE to swim. I had to go to a 125g just to get my tangs. :)

Otherwise it sounds like a nice setup. Any pictures?

Back
Top Bottom