Just starting out, New tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think if you keep up on water changes you'll be okay for a while. The beauty of a test kit is you actually KNOW if you need to do one or not and if you cycle is complete or not. Keep working at it. You'll do fine. Good luck! :)

Sounds like a cool idea, I'm a fresh water/brackish water guy myself. I hear sw is an investment, and if you can, I would start with a bigger tank, maybe 30 since, as we know, a bigger system allows more room for error.

Well in my eyes, its a whole other side of having a habit at your fingertips. Different fish, different cares, different worries. I dont know, it just popped up in my head the other night. I think this hobby is starting to take over hahah:D,

I think if you keep up on water changes you'll be okay for a while. The beauty of a test kit is you actually KNOW if you need to do one or not and if you cycle is complete or not. Keep working at it. You'll do fine. Good luck! :)

Thanks!!!:D, Ill definitely get one!!(just dont know when!!)

tertatorres said:
Well in my eyes, its a whole other side of having a habit at your fingertips. Different fish, different cares, different worries. I dont know, it just popped up in my head the other night. I think this hobby is starting to take over hahah:D,

Oh I totally agree, I'm working on talking my wife into a 75g tank right now lol

So far sounds like it's working out. I'll upload some pics of my tank tomorrow or Friday for ya. I also just took a part time job at my lfs next to my ft job so I'll try and wheel and deal with the wife to let me upgrade lol I wanna go to a 55 gallon with live plants. When you can after you get your kit try round out your corys to at least 5. If you can pm me your stocking list and I'll help as best as I can

I agree with the fact that saltwater is a huge investment. With that being said and learning from my own errors go with a larger tank probably a 30 gal bio cube would be the smallest I would recommend. I started with a 55 gal and wish I had gone with at least double that. I've got a lil over a grand invested into mine. I love all fish. Next major upgrade I'm looking at is a 200+ gal tank used around 900 bucks but it will be a good home for my current stock and allow me to add a few more. Most salt water need lots of room to swim and the fish can grow quite large 2 of my current stock will grow to 12 to 15 in.

So update and questions...

So!, Now that i have a moment to myself. Ive been wanting to give you guys a proper update. I also have a few questions for you smart fish keepers out there:D
-been doing 50% wc for the last 18 days. ( i missed maybe two days. other than that everyday:p)
-took back the CAE!
-still no master kit-.-. (now im out of money and looking for a job)
-fish seem to be doing very well,

5-neons
1-guppy
1-dalamation molly
1-peppered cory

-Im going to petssmart to test my water tomorrow.
It sucks that i dont have the money to get what i need, but im trying to make due.:/

So, questions.
-Now you guys have said many things about cycling and stock, but what about maintenance?.
-what are the little things i must do weekly/daily/monthly.
I dont have a algae scrubber or anything.(any diy options)
-Also, with feeding. I use the 30 sec rule, but should i break the flakes up more? or does that matter.
-The tank smells now!! like fish(is that good?:D)
-i want a clean up crew, what are some good options?
-i have a stocking plan. well a rough idea.
So ill just add that to this in a bit. (edit later)
-Oh! also, is the placement of the filter a big deal?(i had it center with the tank, but i moved it over to the left. heaters on the right.) Does it matter? nothing really in the way but the huge ship..
Answer what you can:D!! Anything helps!!!
Hope everyones doing well!!
:thanks::thanks:(y)

My solution before you buy anything else fish, clean up crew, decorations. Spend the money and get your test kit. Nobody can give you the exact help you need to make your tank and fish the best they can be without knowing water perimeters. It's like taking your car to a mechanic and asking for tuning advise but the engine is sitting on a cherry picker in the garage. As far as equipment placement is concerned it is usually pretty much up to user preferences and common sense. Do not obstruct water flow etc.

tertatorres said:
So, questions.
-Now you guys have said many things about cycling and stock, but what about maintenance?.
-Also, with feeding. I use the 30 sec rule, but should i break the flakes up more? or does that matter.
-Oh! also, is the placement of the filter a big deal?(i had it center with the tank, but i moved it over to the left. heaters on the right.) Does it matter? nothing really in the way but the huge ship..

After your tank has cycled completely, you will need to do water changes weekly or as your test kit indicates is needed. Gravel vacs a few times a month or every water change. Rinse filter cartridge occasionally in used tank water when it's gunked up.

For algae on glass a razor blade works well. If you have room for a bristlenose pleco, they help too.

I break up flakes for my fish as they are mostly small. But I'm sure however you do it they will find something to eat.

My tank smells like a pond when I stir things up. If you smell it from across the room I would do more gravel vacs.

As far as stocking goes, I forget how big your tank is and what you already have. For cleanup crew, research cory cats, loaches, plecos, shrimp, snails, etc. Keep in mind that cories and loaches need groups.

tertatorres said:
So, questions.

Maintenance-wise, you'll want to do weekly water changes of 10-15%, or every two weeks depending on how stable your water is. Test kits are a priority for this. I would suggest vacuuming the gravel with every water change, and periodically rinsing the filter media in old tank water to dislodge particles.

I haven't used an algae scrubber in two years...>_<. I hear the magnetic floating ones are good, but I actually rely on my CAE...>_>, and use a sponge I set aside for cleaning tanks if algae gets too bad. I suggest oto's, which like groups of four and stay small.

Water should smell like fishy miracle grow, so good stuff!

Cleanup crew? Corys work well, my personal favorite are my CAE and ghost shrimp (buggers constantly search for fallen food and eat it. Bristlenose catfish are good. I don't suggest plecos because they get lazy when they grow up.

The filter placement is totally up to you, so long as you're getting a good current and irritating the waters surface. If you feel like part of the water is too still, an air stone works great. Two filters work great too, and help if you've accidentally overstocked.

Sorry about the job, hope it works out and good luck!

Placing the heater near the filter's output can help keep temperature stable throughout the tank.

Back
Top Bottom