Just starting out, New tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So far sounds like your managing well. Once your established shoaling fish such as tetras and rasboras will make a fine addition. Try to take back the ones that are unsuitable definitely. If you want to keep a shark I'm not 100% sure but I think a red tail shark needs a minimum 20g to live in. Now with a fish like that I think the natural shoaling effect would kick in. Corys go in groups of 5 also. Rummynoses are awesome fish. Also great indicators of problems within the tank. And they shoal nicely.

Best of luck and any questions ask away or pm me and I'll try and be if some help because I went into this head first and learned as I went but these forums were my bible and saved me many of headaches.

Also my 30 right now is overstocked slightly thanks to my wifes impulse buys :forehead slap:, but with weekly pwc's my levels are nice across the board. I tried to have fish for top middle and bottom to have a nice look...... But they have a mind of their own. My corys swim in the middle and my danios cruise the bottom lol. If you pm me I'll tell you my fish stock and maybe I can email you some pics later this week of my 30 long

Thank you!!

Thank you again guys for all the help and info!!!, Everyday im learning something new because of you guys!!!.

Honestly, you guys are making this experience just awesome!, Im getting the necessarily information right when i need. I couldnt ask for anything more!!.

So far sounds like your managing well. Once your established shoaling fish such as tetras and rasboras will make a fine addition. Try to take back the ones that are unsuitable definitely.

Oh of course!!, Now i know that i DO have to take the bala and cae back. Just in time. Ill probly end up going to my lfs and see if they can trade, heck id just give it to them. i just dont need it and now because of YOU guys i know this:DD

I love my skirt Tetras. Ya a little aquarium salt is great to help your tank. Not like make ur tank salt water but a conditioning salt... One note thing to consider. Seems like we are throwing so much at ya. But u seem to be getting it quite well as it goes.

I love my skirt Tetras. Ya a little aquarium salt is great to help your tank. Not like make ur tank salt water but a conditioning salt... One note thing to consider. Seems like we are throwing so much at ya. But u seem to be getting it quite well as it goes.

Thanks!, Well like ive been saying. This is the first thing in my life that i actually want to 'look' after. You guys are really helping me out. im the kind of person that needs information. Im constantly looking into new things. This hobby though is really rewarding in a way that makes me feel good about the decisions i am making. Something as little as a tank, could make a person feel better about themselves..Im living proof:D
Like i said, i really do enjoy learning and listening. You guys are the reason why the process is going by so well. I researched the HECK out of this and im trying to learn more as i go. I might not have this long story of how my dad had a tank and ever since i was a kid ive wanted one. But honestly i really have a 'thing' for this whole GOD playing stuff. I got into minecraft awhile ago. The only reason why im bringing it up is because in that game your basically 'god' you make whatever you want!!, thats what im interested in. Im the creator..haha i control everything. Ah i seem to be going off topic but i just wanted you guys to know its because of your help that has made the process of LEARNING alot funner!! haha its fun to check online and see what you guys have posted.

tertatorres said:
Thanks!, Well like ive been saying. This is the first thing in my life that i actually want to 'look' after. You guys are really helping me out. im the kind of person that needs information. Im constantly looking into new things. This hobby though is really rewarding in a way that makes me feel good about the decisions i am making. Something as little as a tank, could make a person feel better about themselves..Im living proof:D
Like i said, i really do enjoy learning and listening. You guys are the reason why the process is going by so well. I researched the HECK out of this and im trying to learn more as i go. I might not have this long story of how my dad had a tank and ever since i was a kid ive wanted one. But honestly i really have a 'thing' for this whole GOD playing stuff. I got into minecraft awhile ago. The only reason why im bringing it up is because in that game your basically 'god' you make whatever you want!!, thats what im interested in. Im the creator..haha i control everything. Ah i seem to be going off topic but i just wanted you guys to know its because of your help that has made the process of LEARNING alot funner!! haha its fun to check online and see what you guys have posted.

I have felt the same way about this hobby and the nice folks on the forum.

Fridays finally here!, cant wait to pick up my kit :DD, Anything thing else i might need??! I actually got more than i thought. So i can get a few extr:ROFLMAO:a things.;p

Update;Fish are doing just fine. Im going to see if i can take back the fish tommorrow. ;D

tertatorres said:
Fridays finally here!, cant wait to pick up my kit :DD, Anything thing else i might need??! I actually got more than i thought. So i can get a few extr:ROFLMAO:a things.;p
By kit, I assume you mean the api master kit (great stuff). So long as you've followed a basic checklist, you'll be good. I'll list my checklist for ya, and don't feel obligated to follow it to a "T".

1-siphon or gravel vacuum
2-nets (multiple sizes great idea)
3-bucket for water changes (best to have 2 so you can quickly replace water lost, if using non aged water)
4-air pump, tube and stone/wand (completely optional, but I love to be able to aggravate the entire water surface for gas exchange)
5-extra gravel
6 -decorations if you ever need to replace any
7-slime coat (optional, but helps replenish fish slime coat and reduce stress)
8-melafix for occasional-make that rare-infections
9-ich treatment (handy)
10-food (at least two kinds, three even better. Flakes, river shrimp and bloodworms are my personal favorite) vegetables, like a pea, unseasoned and thawed is a fantastic treat
11-replacement filter cartridges (if using a HOB containing replaceable filters, but never get rid of the biofoam, and personally I like to "culture"my replacement filters in tank water)
12-aquarium salt, NOT table salt. Great for treating infections, ich and improving overall health

Sorry about the long post, and I like your enthusiasm, reminds me of when I first started keeping fish when I lived with mom at 8(consequently, she thought tetras and goldfish went well together) and started keeping them again at 18. Best of luck, you're going to love every minute of these watery guys!

So, update on the tank.
50% wc are going great. I took the ballon molly and the bala shark to the lfs. I think this is actually going to help my tank. The mollies really eat alot, so alot of the waste is from them. Im going to keep the cae just for now. he cleans.why not :D
My dmollie is actually doing alot better. Shes calmer. The ballon use to pick on her. I realllly want more cories..they are so cool haha. So what do moss balls do? :D

By kit, I assume you mean the api master kit (great stuff). So long as you've followed a basic checklist, you'll be good. I'll list my checklist for ya, and don't feel obligated to follow it to a "T".

1-siphon or gravel vacuum
2-nets (multiple sizes great idea)
3-bucket for water changes (best to have 2 so you can quickly replace water lost, if using non aged water)
4-air pump, tube and stone/wand (completely optional, but I love to be able to aggravate the entire water surface for gas exchange)
5-extra gravel
6 -decorations if you ever need to replace any
7-slime coat (optional, but helps replenish fish slime coat and reduce stress)
8-melafix for occasional-make that rare-infections
9-ich treatment (handy)
10-food (at least two kinds, three even better. Flakes, river shrimp and bloodworms are my personal favorite) vegetables, like a pea, unseasoned and thawed is a fantastic treat
11-replacement filter cartridges (if using a HOB containing replaceable filters, but never get rid of the biofoam, and personally I like to "culture"my replacement filters in tank water)
12-aquarium salt, NOT table salt. Great for treating infections, ich and improving overall health

Sorry about the long post, and I like your enthusiasm, reminds me of when I first started keeping fish when I lived with mom at 8(consequently, she thought tetras and goldfish went well together) and started keeping them again at 18. Best of luck, you're going to love every minute of these watery guys!

Thanks for the help!!! This is a great starting list!! :D thanks!!:dance:

Good to hear, post some pictures of your tank when you get a chance! I'll share a picture of my livebearer tank :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120121_222223.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120121_222223.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 62
  • ForumRunner_20120121_222257.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120121_222257.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 53
Heres some pictures. I know its 'BARE' but its a work in progress:D.
Next step is plants!!!

How about everyone that reads this, add a picture. :DD :dance::dance::dance:

Attachments

• DSCN8680.jpg
    DSCN8680.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN8690.jpg
    DSCN8690.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN8694.jpg
    DSCN8694.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN8650.jpg
    DSCN8650.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 71
tertatorres said:
Heres some pictures. I know its 'BARE' but its a work in progress:D.
Next step is plants!!!

How about everyone that reads this, add a picture. :DD :dance::dance::dance:

That sounds great, but I don't see any pictures on that post! Here's a picture of my new yellow lab, Thor

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120121_232102.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120121_232102.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 55
Yeah I like that. Will look good with some plants for the tetras to play around

That's a gorgeous dalmatian molly you have.

That's a gorgeous dalmatian molly you have.

Thank you!!! I think she feels like she the center of attention now that i got rid of the ballon and bala. She has alot of personality!!.Shes the only one thats goes inside this little hole in the ship. :D i cant wait to start adding fish:DD aaahhh cant wait!!

tertatorres said:
What is thor?, sorry i dont know fish to well. i really like the color:DD

He's an electric yellow cichlid. Yellow lab cichlid, lemon drop, lol whatever the common term is. I like him, but really shy right now since I've only had him and the other for about two days. They're from lake malawi in africa

He's an electric yellow cichlid. Yellow lab cichlid, lemon drop, lol whatever the common term is. I like him, but really shy right now since I've only had him and the other for about two days. They're from lake malawi in africa

Wow,:D thats awesome!
So why do you like cichlids? i see them alot but whats your opinion.

Back
Top Bottom