Kalk in Nanoreef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZoozFishMaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 7 g minibow reef. The tank has basically been unchanged for about a year: 1 perc clown, a bunch of mushrooms, polyps, feather duster, and a goniopora (unbelievably it's been alive forever and it seems to be thriving - i really cant believe it). I perform a 1 gallon water change every week with distilled water/oceanic salt.

Recently the snail population seems to be exploding and i added a few new softies. I tested the calcium and its around 380. I wanted to boost the calcium so i turned to kalkwasser (not only for calcium but also for its other benefits). I currently have 2 cups of kalk solution dripping into the tank over night at 1 drop every 20 seconds (the valve might gunk up over night). I'm kinda worried because I know its easy to mess this up especially when dealing with only 7 gallons of water!! Because I don't have much room for a large container with kalk that could drip continuously, I've been thinking about just dosing kalk once a week. Does this make sense? Also i heard that dosing kalk can lower alkalinity? Is this true and if so, how do I avoid a drop in alk without adding a buffer (if possible)?

I really hope I'm not shocking the heck out of the guys in my tank cuz i kno how quickly kalk can raise the pH. I'll see what the tank looks like in the morning. Any help appreciated.

I don't think there's anything about Kalk that could LOWER your Alk. So I don't think what you may have heard is true. The whole point of kalk is to raise Ca and Alk together.

You are correct to be very cautious with only 7 gallons in your system. If you were to overdrip the kalk you could cause a wild swing in your pH.

My recommendation is to continue to drip daily. On big, weekly shot would be too hard on the system.

Back
Top Bottom