Keegster803's 6 gal nano reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update: I tested the water params, and there is a high level of ammonia, high level of nitrites, and I low level of nitrates. I'll post numbers when I get home, I just saw the colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah, I'm so excited. And which lights should I get for the zoas? I heard good things about T5s but I also heard great things about Metal Halides

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

MH would turn a 6 gallon into the fiery pits of hell. People with large systems run fans to keep them cool because they run so hot, even hundreds of dollars spent on cooling systems!
That aside, I'm not sure where you'll find a bulbed unit for a 6 gallon tank that would support corals.
Thankfully, zoas don't need much light. I think you could easily get a pendant type fixture with something like a PAR38 bulb to keep them alive. That said, a PAR38 would be too much light most likely and want to downgrade it some.

EDIT: If this is still the Fluval tank, there are ways to mod them to get LEDs into them. It's been awhile since I've read about it so it escaped me when I first made this post. I'd give some links to such, but at work and can't access most information that I'd be able to provide. Check out youtube, this isn't something that hasn't been done before.

Last edited:
MH would turn a 6 gallon into the fiery pits of hell. People with large systems run fans to keep them cool because they run so hot, even hundreds of dollars spent on cooling systems!
That aside, I'm not sure where you'll find a bulbed unit for a 6 gallon tank that would support corals.
Thankfully, zoas don't need much light. I think you could easily get a pendant type fixture with something like a PAR38 bulb to keep them alive. That said, a PAR38 would be too much light most likely and want to downgrade it some.

EDIT: If this is still the Fluval tank, there are ways to mod them to get LEDs into them. It's been awhile since I've read about it so it escaped me when I first made this post. I'd give some links to such, but at work and can't access most information that I'd be able to provide. Check out youtube, this isn't something that hasn't been done before.

There was that guy who put the mh street lamp over his 29g a while back... havnt seen him around though:/ the fluval is absolutely customizable, i know this is sw but the planted tank has a thread dedicated to mod'd edge's.. i am fairly certain you will find what you need there.
I will edit in the link when I find it!
Here's an example. Wouldn't use this led but this will get you started! Good luck man. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=801642
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help, I'm looking through some stuff on YouTube right now, it's very cool

If you can, that would be very helpful, as I haven't really found any good help on modding the LED for the spec V

I just put a par 30 bulb on my 4g aqeon tank and it is more than enough to grow anything I want.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey guys, I haven't updated in soo long, well here it goes. I got two new colonies today, which came with a feather duster worm. I got 2 turbo snails and 6 hermits. And I have a lonely frag in the middle. My lighting got upgraded to the Current USA Reef Lights. And I'm just doing weekly 50% waterchanges ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434083334.678275.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434083362.632504.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434083385.980636.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434083402.066584.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434083446.875766.jpg

Sweet!

reefs are just one of those things that don't happen quickly it all takes time to grow out. :)

Caleb

Dusters shouldn't need any supplemental food, especially not at that size. Any minor nutritional benefit would be negated by the high amounts of nitrates and nitrites found in most bottled phytos. I have some small ones too, and I've never fed them anything

Back
Top Bottom