Keegster803's 6 gal nano reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update: well the tank lasted a couple months but then suddenly crashed. I had stirred up the sand bed and it ended up killing everything. I am currently taking all of the water out of the tank.. Time to restart the tank

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I am doing it out of spite, and to prove to my dad that It can be done, lol. Is the live rock still salvageable? I'll post pics in a min

Sent via echolocation

If it was kept wet I'm sure it would still be live.

Though I'm just as much of a salty newbie as you lol if not more :popcorn:

Caleb

Warning Graphic Images:
Ok Guys, after everything died, I let the tank filter and all run, and it turned into this muck, is it still salvageable??
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442895520.647089.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442895545.627356.jpg

Sent via echolocation

And that's why we don't play with saltwater sandbeds kids!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've heard you are not supposed to but I see my LFS vacuum their saltwater beds all the time...

What's the reasoning why not to do it? Like is toxic gasses released?

Caleb

I've heard you are not supposed to but I see my LFS vacuum their saltwater beds all the time...

What's the reasoning why not to do it? Like is toxic gasses released?

Caleb

What happens is, every inch of so down you get in the sand bed has different bacteria, some are anaerobic and some produce stuff like chlorine and some are fermenting bacteria and there is some really nasty stuff in there. My lfs told me that's probably why my tank crashed, the guy I talked to is going down to take over a fishery in the carribean. But there is a lot of nasty stuff in those sand beds

Sent via echolocation

Update:
Well, apparently, I had 1 hermit crab that somehow survived this horrible rookie mistake, I will be posting pics when I get home and I will be posting the water parameters as well

Sent via echolocation

Back
Top Bottom