Keeping Baby Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Cola1151

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I picked up 3 pea puffers, and they are tiny! <1cm
My question is would I be able to safely keep them in a bucket of tank water without filtration or heating for a few days?

I really want them to grow a bit before I put them into my nano tank. This is because I have 2 large bleeding heart tetras in there and don't want fighting.

If this plan fails, I'll strip my tank and remove the tetras and put the puffers in..

I know there are many dangers of keeping baby fish, but I never thought they would be so small!

Pea puffers are pretty adorable. We're getting some as soon as our tank is ready. It's hard to wait!

They need heat and filtration. They might survive a few days without it, but they certainly won't grow.

I've heard of people keeping dwarf puffers with larger tetras, but that seems very risky. Puffers aren't community fish. Is that combo long-term?

can you use a small net and rest it near the top of the tank? like a fry box?

I've spent quite some time researching pea puffers lately, as my wife wanted one. What I've found is that they need a tank of at least 10g, should not be housed with other puffers, need heavy vegetation and plenty of hiding places, and are aggressive to most other types of fish. I doubt they would survive very long in an unheated bucket, and they certainly won't do well in a nano tank.
Aquariadise.com has a short, but informative article on them.

Back
Top Bottom