Keeping empty tank cycled, parameters out of whack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SassyHippo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started up a brand new tank and I’ve been dosing with ammonia to keep it cycled before adding fish. At this point ammonia is cleared easily within 24hrs even when dosed as high as 4ppm (oops). Nitrites have yet to read zero (They do drop though) but nitrates are always off the chart high. PetSmart is still open in my area but I’ve tried not to venture out if possible.
Should I do a huge water change and just add fish? I’m about to need dog food anyway. I’m sure I have way more beneficial bacteria than I need at this point. Or keep dosing the ammonia until the nitrites drop to zero? I only plan to add about 6-8 guppies in a 15 gallon.

You can add fish, just have a bottle or prime ready for emergency, and be prepared for daily water changes (not too hard on a 15 gal tank).

You can add fish, just have a bottle or prime ready for emergency, and be prepared for daily water changes (not too hard on a 15 gal tank).
I do have a full bottle ready to go. I bought the python but of course it won’t connect to my faucet. I’m waiting on adapters but my 5 gallon bucket has worked so far.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom