Keeping floating plants out of filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drayven

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my question isn't necessarily about plants themselves but more about keeping floating plants where I want them. Right now I have an issue where my floaters end up in front of the HOB filter, get knocked around, lose a bunch of leaves and get tangled in the rooted plants. What I'm trying to come up with is a way to keep the floaters out of the path of the filter. In my head what I'm picturing is a small string of floating buoys like you'd use to mark off a swimming area. Then I could connect them to the front and back of the tank where I want them and stop the plants from floating in front of the filter without disturbing the fish below. Does that make any sense? Does anyone know of such a thing for aquariums?

I use a small piece of floating driftwood in this way, the dry gravevine wood sold for terrariums--attached to the wall at one end with a suction cup.

It's pennywort. What I ended up doing was putting a few strips of floral wire like is used in fake plants inside a length of air tubing. Then I sealed off both ends with silicone to make sure it's water tight to avoid rusting. Attached a suction cup to one end to hold it to the side and the other end is wrapped around my heater. This way as I raise and lower the water level the one end floats up and down and the other end is fixed in place. So far it acts as a nice bumper to keep the plants safe.

smart idea. you also could have just used fishline and tie the stems to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom