Keeping koi in doors...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarcusW94

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I'm new to this and would like some advise...I'm a fisher man and I'm really in love with koi carp an would like to keep them in my home...what would I need to do...would a 4ft tank be ok till they grow an have to either sell them on or put them in a pond?

Fingerling koi grow quite quickly and produce copious amounts of waste. They really need to be kept in larger ponds. I had to winter some small imported koi several years ago that came in too late to be added to the big pond. I housed them in a 220g tank for the winter and fed them several small meals a day to get them growing well. By spring these guys had grown several inches. Some are now 24+ inches and are kept in a 4000g pond.

Jesus! I was thinking to just keep them for a little while till I get a pound sorted. I'm just worried they won't survive in a tank but they can right?

They would have to be very small fingerlings plus it would depend on the tank. The problem with tanks and koi is the koi can be stunted very easily. Plus considering when raised properly they grow very quickly when young and do better with smaller frequent meals they quickly out grow a tank, especially a small one which is where problems can start.

What size tank and what size koi are you wanting? Also how long before they can be put in a pond? What size pond are you wanting to build? They need a good sized pond as well due to their size and bio-load.

It's a 2 and a half ft long 1ft wide an 1 and a half ft tall... And not very long tbf

Back
Top Bottom