Keeping my plants healthy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cole_russell

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just recently dirted my aquarium and just bought some nice plants and don't want them to die I used miracle grow organic soil and have dosed the tank with potassium and iron ferts to the labels specifications if there are any additional tips or tricks I could use to keep my crypts from completely melting (which isn't looking top bad and it's been a day) as well as my red tiger lotus and red val (really jungle val if i'm not mistaken) from losing color or dieing if you all know anything about these plants hit me up with what you've got! I'll have pictures up for you all tomorrow.

For the crypts one way ive found to help prevent melting is to make site they arent planted too deep.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What lighting and bulbs are you using and what size tank? Lighting will determine what plants will thrive in your tank. You have all low light tolerant plants right now.

Since you just dirted the tank I'm assuming the ferts you listed that your using are liquid correct? What brand? In about 4 weeks you need to get some root tabs and add one under the crypt and red tiger lotus as they are both heavy root feeders. The reason I say wait 4 weeks is because the soil is loaded with nutrients that will be released in the first few weeks. I would also add a root tab around the jungle val's as well at that time.

In a newly dirted tank you will want to only run lights 6 to 8 hours max since all the excess nutrients being released into the water can cause algae issue if lights are run too long daily. I also suggest doing a 50% wc weekly.

Don't worry if the crypt melts as this is a very common occurrence when they are moved or added to a new tank. If they melt leave them alone as they almost always grow back as the roots are usually always viable. But the good news is I've never had crypt melt in my dirted tanks so the dirt is a plus in this case.

Just remember that plants need to acclimate to a new tank the same as fish so give them time and try not to worry too much about them.

Well the light I'm running is the full spectrum bulbs that came with the tank pretty sure its like 1ish wpg, I also get some natural light from the window in my room which has not been an issue yet and can be readily closed. The fert I used is API leaf zone says its got: 3% soluble potash and .10% iron.

You have low light so be sure if you add any more plants to the tank that they are also low light tolerant. Since most of your plants now tend to be heavy root feeders the Leaf Zone is fine. You just need to get root tabs.

You also may want to get a comprehensive fertilizer like seachem flourish comprehensive.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom