Keeping tank cool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alefaz14

Aquarium Advice Regular
During the day, my the temperature in my tank is usually from about 82-86 degrees farenheit, and i want it lower, around 78-80 degrees. I've tried putting in a few ice cubs in the tank and lifting up the canopy of the tank and having a fan blow on the water, but neither of those things have really helped. I live in Colorado and it gets pretty hot during the summer, so any advice on how to cool down my aquarium would be appreciated.

During the day, my the temperature in my tank is usually from about 82-86 degrees farenheit, and i want it lower, around 78-80 degrees. I've tried putting in a few ice cubs in the tank and lifting up the canopy of the tank and having a fan blow on the water, but neither of those things have really helped. I live in Colorado and it gets pretty hot during the summer, so any advice on how to cool down my aquarium would be appreciated.

I guess a few ice cubes wouldn't hurt but I wouldn't add a lot as it sounds that you're introducing untreated water. Is suggest making a gallon of treated water and then (depending on tank size) freezing it in empty 20 oz or 1 liter bottles. Put the cap on and throw it in the tank. They're reusable and if it leaks, it's treated so there's no harm.

Ice is going to be a gigantic pita. I rotated out 2 liters for 2 weeks during a heatwave here and it was awful. Since this is an ongoing thing that you're probably going to be continuously running into i would suggest that you take a look at this

Your Tank

Hello Al...

It's natural for the tank water temp to increase this time of year. As long as the increase is gradual, the fish won't mind. The plants, however, may not appreciate a water temp over 86.

Here's what I do to keep things cooler in the house and for the tanks. I'm up early and open the windows in the rooms wherever I have tanks. I have a large fan that I set up in front of the front door and open the screen part of the storm door. Turn the fan on max to pull in the cool air from outside. It runs until I leave.

Before leaving, I close up the windows and draw all the shades in the house, so no direct sun comes in to heat the inside. As long as your place is well insulated, the inside will stay around 75 degrees and cool the water in the tanks.

In the later part of the afternoon, I open windows in the rooms where there's no tank to allow a little fresh air in.

Pretty simple once you get into the habit.

B

Back
Top Bottom