Kelsey's new pico :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dang... can you type it out using the round brackets instead of the square ones and then i can just sub it in? The "your thread" thing didn't work because it still shows up as "your thread" when i quote it.

...and i though i was good with computers haha jeesh

*edit* Oh i take that back! It does work :) haha thanks!

Alright so i order the par 38, 40 degree optics bulb from nanotuners. (thanks to jen)

Nanotuners.com

I also got both the 60 degree optic lens and the 80 degree optic lens since the 40 would be more like a spotlight. Should be shipping out early next week! Don't know how long the shipping to Canada will take though, hope not too long.

haha apparently they are equivalent to metal halides, can't find the wattage right now and i forget what i read. The different optics will determine how much the light spreads out, there are charts on the website that show it nicely.

I'll definitely post pictures as soon as it comes in!! I'll be looking for a stand for the tank and a lamp to hold the bulb in today so if i find anything ill post pics of that too :)

Nice choice. From what I've read LEDs are definitely more powerful than MH, assuming you're not buying/making a crappy fixture.

Corey's wrong. ;)
Not so sure about the warranty deal, you'd have to ask them. But you can most definitely use different optics. There's a write-up on nano-reefs about it.

Yupp I e-mailed them yesterday to make sure about that actually haha. He said they were pretty easy to change out and told me how, or that they would do it for me for 19.95. I think it might void the warranty if i break it trying to do it myself, so I will have to be very careful haha.

Carey- Yes a bit hi tech for the tank, but if i were to make my own led lighting it would be over 150 and i would have to figure out how to mount it above my tank. I also considered making a light out of the coralife mini compacts but each bulb is 34 bucks at petland (no where else sells them that I've seen) and i would want probably 3 of them, plus the cost and time of making the fixture, not worth it. I think this is definitely the best choice.

Didn't find a lamp or a stand today though like i had hoped, only had time to look at walmart and a few petstores though. I did get a filter and heater. I am going to put it together now and see how much flow the filter puts out and test out the heater (it's one of the preset ones). I'll post some pics right away.

Heater: tetra 50W 2-15gallons
Filter: aquaclear 20 (nobody sold the ac10)

There was a marina slim 10 that i was kind of looking at, looking pretty nice, still kind of debating between the two.

some piczz

img_1304914_0_53c8e0e65e851d19ab7cecf6945ed669.jpg

tank with water

img_1304914_1_8f59daf17c35f57399ccbc1bcffe0b75.jpg

thought it would be nice to see what the actual setup would look like. I really like it, would be a great FW or FOWLR.

img_1304914_2_6bb09b17113e7a21939e160a116e55ed.jpg

img_1304914_3_93452164c99120f67201e3fd92e24703.jpg

little tiny heater, read some bad reviews online about it quitting, will need to get a backup just in case.

img_1304914_4_94388c2a4716d6f9e96356a8bc086331.jpg

filter running

img_1304914_5_70685acb370c0f7269b9438136e2d3d6.jpg

little heater in back of filter

img_1304914_6_81445d00007fbd2eb162fb9199d9e418.jpg

and lid doesn't fit very nicely anymore

It looks great though! maybe you can file a little piece off for the cord to fit? Can't wait to see it start to fill with creatures.

It looks great though! maybe you can file a little piece off for the cord to fit? Can't wait to see it start to fill with creatures.

Good idea! Now i just need to find a tool that will work for that.

The heater seems to be keeping it pretty constant at 76 degrees :)

Quick update on the light, I guess you need 5 optics lens to switch the optics which would mean $10 instead of $2. For that cost i figured i might as well get them to switch it for me for the extra $10, meaning my warranty would still be valid as well.

Cost of light $88
Cost of shipping $28
Cost of switching the lens $20
The total came to $136

haha yah i think its definitely worth it, my metal halide bulb is $90 to replace and it needs replacing about every 6 months, even the power compacts i was considering making a light fixture out of were $35 each (x3 =$100).

I also forgot to mention that i think i have decided to build a tank stand, I'v looked around a bit and have found nothing that i like.

One more week before finals are done :D then it will all start coming together nicely! (hopefully haha)

Okay so I finally picked up a lamp, not a desk lamp like I had thought so we will see if it works. It was only $20 from rona and I am planning on putting the led bulb in the "reading lamp" part, obviously the top wouldn't work haha. Let me know what you guys think, I don't want it to look stupid with the big lamp.

So here is the lamp and the corner I'm pretty sure the tank will be going in.
img_1315846_0_91dd7bd791d455e20f4440f417a76dd5.jpg

The lamp looks good but...
1) Is it adjustable?
2) Is the shade removable?
Just lookin' out for you! :)

Yeah that thing is gonna need to be very high off the tank. Like ridiculously-looking high off the tank. Those PAR38's are extremely potent, though I do believe the wider optics makes them a tad less potent though

Edit: I just notice you didn't post exactly what optics you got, which ones did you get? Because with 80 degree you won't have to put it up as high, but 60 it will still have to be kinda high.

I went with the 80 optics exactly for that reason haha. The shade is removable but it's pretty big so I'm hoping the bulb will fit in it. The lamp arm is adjustable but not the actual height (which i do wish was higher). I was planning on building the stand so the bulb would be 12in above the tank's surface. This makes my stand a little shorter than what I was hoping for though.

The only desk lamp that i found tall enough was this clamp on one
http://www.rona.ca/shop/~lamp-desk-lamp-dana-378393_!desk_shop
It doesn't say the height there but if i remember correctly it is 24 inches, making it again 12 inches above the surface of the tank.

I also just found this light fixture http://www.rona.ca/shop/~lamp-3-head-floor-lamp-adesso-351787_indoor-outdoor-lighting_lighting-electricity_shop
I'm going to go in today to see if they have it, need to find out what bulbs it takes and if i can turn only one head on at a time(kinda looks like they each have individual switches form the pic which is good).

Or this one might work too, http://www.rona.ca/shop/~lamp-combo-2-lamps-globe-458517_!desk_shop,
I'll look for both today.

Back
Top Bottom