Kelsey's new pico :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just make sure they're sturdy, I believe on nanotuners they say the bulb weighs about a full pound.

Definitely great pick on the 80 degree optics, 12" off the top of the tank should be good as well

Just make sure they're sturdy, I believe on nanotuners they say the bulb weighs about a full pound.

Definitely great pick on the 80 degree optics, 12" off the top of the tank should be good as well

Good haha I really don't want my stand any shorter! I'll make sure to check out those lamps sturdiness, thanks!

Well I'm officially done finals! It feels amazinggg!! I need to go into school one last time to finish up an economic project and hand it in, but not before stopping at my LFS ;)

I still need a stand but i think the lamp i have now will work, looked at those other ones i posted but rona only had the one with the three bulbs. The highest of the three bulbs that i could use was at the same level as the reading lamp on my current one.

Hope i make a bit of progress today with shopping : )

Just realized I never replied. I asked if the shade is removable because I'm pretty sure using a fixture with a shade voids the warranty, because there's a chance it'll overheat.
Congrats on being done with finals. I'm looking forward to seeing this too, I almost used a par38 myself.

Just realized I never replied. I asked if the shade is removable because I'm pretty sure using a fixture with a shade voids the warranty, because there's a chance it'll overheat.
Congrats on being done with finals. I'm looking forward to seeing this too, I almost used a par38 myself.

The LED could still overheat?? I've never had LED lighting before so I wouldn't know, I just have heard that they are a lot less hot than the MH. I'll take it off just to be sure and make a note of how hot it gets from being on all day.

iDream: The light isn't in yet sadly but i checked and it wasn't sent out until the 20th (the USPS quotes 6-10 days). I'll be checking daily though : )

Didn't get much done today either :(, econ project took longer than expected.

It's unlikely that they'll "overheat," but they need to cover their bases, essentially.
You're right, LEDs really don't get very warm at all, and they do run cooler than all the other common lighting methods. It's not something I'd worry about, but it's also not worth voiding your warranty.

@Jen: Okay cool thanks!

Alright so today was pretty eventful i think, my LFS still does not have live rock in but is getting some in hopefully next week, they are under strict orders to text me as soon as it arrives haha. I did find a stand for $40 bucks though at XS Cargo that will work perfectly! It is not real wood or anything fancy but i would like to protect the surface as much as possible. That being said does anyone have any ideas to protect it? Anything i can put under the tank?? Here's some pictures of it. (Yes i put it together all by myself :))

img_1328083_0_af06c68eca7d3567f957dc61b04296a8.jpg

img_1328083_1_14946a96bdfc905bc3cb0e61919050f4.jpg

I also got a job offer today starting at $22 or $23 per hour, mon-fri, 12 or 8 hour shifts. No more waitressing for me! I won't have as much time as i had hoped for this summer but i will have a lot more money (for fish and corals) with all those hours, and the wage makes up for what i would have made in tips : )

I also was going to get sand today but my LFS only has large bags of the type of sand i wanted and the only other store that has the sand is across the city, I'll get it tomorrow. It will be white sand I'm pretty sure because:
-my room is pretty dark (all dark brown walls with only that one green one you can see in the pic)
-the furniture is also dark
-the rock is live and won't be bright white so i don't think it will stand out as nicely
-I can't find it anywhere (except for some larger grained stuff and i really like the fine grained)

Are you looking for water protection? I'm sure there's some sort of sealant you could use.
Make sure that that can hold ~50+ pounds of weight, either within the booklet/manual it came with, or by contacting the manufacturer. It's an important aspect a lot of people overlook. If it won't, it's common for people to reinforce the underside with 2x4's and such, but I can't tell you how to do that. :lol:

Are you looking for water protection? I'm sure there's some sort of sealant you could use.
Make sure that that can hold ~50+ pounds of weight, either within the booklet/manual it came with, or by contacting the manufacturer. It's an important aspect a lot of people overlook. If it won't, it's common for people to reinforce the underside with 2x4's and such, but I can't tell you how to do that. :lol:

Okay thanks I'll double check that. (weight requirement)

Yah something to protect the top, it's not real wood though so the sealant might just make it look bad. I was thinking of getting a sham wow or something to put underneath it, cut it just smaller than the size of the tank so you couldn't see it. That would probably just absorb any water though and still wreck the tank since it wouldn't dry well being underneath the tank. I don't know if it would really help at all.:confused:hmmmm

Got my first coral purchase for the pico : ) A mini carpet anemone! I'm holding it in our large tank tank until the pico is ready. I actually got two, the purple one that i originally wanted was kinda stuck to another orange-ish one so the guy just threw both of them in :) I only paid for the one, $70. I'll probably put the other one in my nano and see if my clowns will host it (i know they haven't been known to host these but yah never know right ;)).

Here are some pictures, it is after i just put them in so ill have to post some of them open when i get home from work. They are covered by a breeding container with some rock rubble so they don't attach to any rock in the tank.

img_1330324_0_0e0dcbe6a2d65e8ce772c5e1a4b73f09.jpg

img_1330324_1_ed4ad19c2efc82b82c1213a9a90ebc56.jpg

Wow you are a smart cookie! Keeping them contained and all, I'd have never thought of that. LOL

We need a full on picture now. Making me want a pico!

Okay so i got the sand in! I ended up having to get live sand since it's the only 5lb bag i could find, the dry aragonate was all in 20 or 30 lb bags, a little too much for me.

Here's the pics

First added sand (didn't rinse it, which i regret)
img_1331846_0_f5811d3e3b819f0ca1c3e884dcda6d8e.jpg

a couple hours with some filter floss
img_1331846_1_d321430d16682760acaacbf9b3d726cd.jpg

and this morning : )
img_1331846_2_07026ce21e8756544463c13aa3553b46.jpg

There we go, now that's what I'm talking about! Looks great!

I was in my lfs the other day and they had a teeny tiny clear acrylic filter on their pico display. You can't even see the filter is there! Have you looked into any like that? Or is the light going to block the view anyways?

There we go, now that's what I'm talking about! Looks great!

I was in my lfs the other day and they had a teeny tiny clear acrylic filter on their pico display. You can't even see the filter is there! Have you looked into any like that? Or is the light going to block the view anyways?

I haven't seen anything like that, you should ask what the brand is next time your in. The light is going to stay where it is in the third picture more or less. I can't move it any closer (bleaching corals might be an issue). Light is still not in btw :(, hopefully it shows up soon!

when I go to pick up my gobies tuesday I'll ask about the filter. It was near invisible I tell ya lol. I didn;t even know it was on there til I got up close and looked at the back

Well i just read this thread and am now following ;)

Thanks! : )

Are those maxi mini anemones?

They are mini anemones, not sure if they are the maxi mini ones or not, guess ill have to see how big they get lol. I believe they were about 3 inch diameter when they were fully open at the LFS.

Edit - just did some reading and found this on another thread

"There are two different forms. The mini's get about the size of a quarter. In the right conditions, they can spread and potentially cause some problems. The "maxi-mini's" get several inches across, but don't reproduce like the "mini's". Once they find a comfy spot for their foot, they rarely move. It would be very, very, very rare for one of these anemones to harm a fish."

So i guess they are maxi minis : ) I read that their max is 5 inches in diameter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom