kenya tree problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill_B

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had the tank for about 3 weeks now (was previously set up and I just moved it), 12 gallon Eclipse nano. stock lighting with adition of a blue LEDS for a moon light, 10lbs live rock plus about 8 lbs of base rock i added 2 weeks ago.
fish were added 10 days ago, 3 assorted damsels, all about 2" in lenght.

I have 4 kenya tree frags that came with the tank, they have been doing great but last night i noticed they were all laying over and the truck seemed to be thining.

Im going to be getting the water tested, i have a kit but its older so idk if its good. i did a 20% water change today (last one was 12 days ago)

temp has been high the last couple of days, like 82 in the tank, would that do it?

Temps that get tooo high can melt a softie ... do you have a way to cross check your temps ? 82* is not that bad but what do you keep it set at ?
The lighting may also need replaced (bulb) these can "tip" over for no appearant reason ... I am willing to bet that with the move you stirred up some things as well as adding the base rock this may well be causing you to have a cycle ... This may also cause it ... I would still attempt the test kit any ways to see if you can pin point anything at all , as well as set up for a couple more changes if you are not already using carbon you may wish to this will need to be changed every few days while you are trying to figure out what is going on...also check your flow they like medium flow but not to be blaste ,just a subtle sway in the current ...

i'll may need to find a new light, but i'm going to be changing tanks soon....

test results (new kit)
salinity 1.023
nitrates 0
nitrites 0
ph 7.9 (color between 7.8 and 8)
amonia 0

talked to the lfs she is concerned it might be a nutrition issue so i got rotifers (sp) frozen cubes for them, and dropped one in last night, since i did that 1 has started to stand back up but the others havent...

Well one is perking back up but the other three are still lookin pretty bad
Any more ideas?

Not to sure SPG is a bit low PH is also a bit low can you open some windows and blow a fan across to see if that elevates it a bit ... If not you may wish to consider testing and dosing to raise it up a bit
I dont believe they eat rotifers... I would try to move them so they are near the same height in the tank and getting the same envroment ...
Lights would be one of the first things I would look at . Also if not add some carbon to rule out any thing chemical at this point

well figured it out.... and boy do i feel like an idiot...

Couple days before it happened I decided it was time to add more baserock and get it going. At Pet Suplies Plus they had some lava rocks for a good price, so stupid me I said "rocks rock right?" and they were nice and pourus. so grabbed a bunch and put em in.

well realized Sunday morning that lava rock is potentially toxic... pulled em out and well 2 have already perked up alot from where they were.... hopin to save em.

Back
Top Bottom