Keyhole cichlid sexing?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichildlife

Aquarium Advice Addict
I, im getting these guys and was wondering how you sex them, i would like to breed them. They would be the only fish in the tank but some danios or platys. Which would work better danios or platys?

Either would get along with them fine IMO, but I would suggest danios since they stay pretty high in the water column so they will never be in the keyholes' way. But, platys would be ok. Mine is with platys and other mixed fish. It really only cares about the rams, but doesn't even glance at the platys, corys, or tetras. But I just have 1, I assume they will defend a territory while breding just like any other cichlid.

+1 danios are better as they shouldnt mess with the kribs.
platys may be a bit too agresive though.
krib females have a pinker, rounded belly while the male tends to have more patterning x

Thx so ill prolly go with danois a group of 6 should be good:)

Yep, 6 danios should be fine.
You probably already know this, but I am just going to add that danios need horizontal swimming space, so a 20 long is the minimum I recommend. But, I a assuming you have a decent sized tank anyhow to breed the keyholes in. :)

Also, keyholes are difficult to sex IMO. I have heard more than once that it is often hard to find females. The best info I have gathered is still really vague. The male may end up a but larger, and has a longer dorsal fin, especially the trailer at the end of the dorsal fin. Another things I have heard is that in males the anal fin is a bit longer and often extends past the dorsal fin in males. Like I said, these are pretty vague descriptions though, but thats the best I can do. If you get a few, you can always just wait for them to pair naturally (assuming you have both genders).

Yea ok thx ill prolly get one bigger one nd then one a little smaller. Sound ok?

Ok any other suggestions that would be ol with keyholes nd would stay toward the top?

haha! im sorry i read kribs whoops. i suppose it works similarly with keyholes though? the female is rounder and the male has better patterning?
x

Ok thx so any sugestiobs on little fish that stay toward tge top?

Well, I assumed you meant zebra or leopard danios, but I think a smaller danio like gold-ringed danios would be ok. Small killis would be ok and stay at the top. Maybe harlequin rasboras, I have not kept them so I am not sure, but I have heard they stay at toward the top. You would have to double check that with somebody else.

Ok thx i was refurring to the zebras thx so um what do the gold danios look like iv never herd of them.?

They are cool but iv never seen them before.... What about gold danios?

I am not familiar with gold danios. I will have to look them up.

EDIT: Nope. Gold danios are just a color variant of zebra danios.

Hmmmm ok well any other suggestions they dont have to be danios.

Back
Top Bottom