KH question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ewatson249

Aquarium Advice Activist
My KH has dropped to 6.5. I don't like dosing anything in my tank as I think it'll just lead on to other problems although this Kh level worries me. I only have 2 lps corals and 1 tiny SPS frag so there is not much demand on the system. My calcium is at 420 so this seems fine. Any ideas? And us it true that my calcium levels will fall if I do dose to raise KH?

Thers this stuff called kalk+2 by brightwell its a kalkwasser witch should fix that it also has calcium. Useing it will help balance your ph calcium and kh even alk to. with this and testing to find the right balance should keep your tank running good

I would try a 2 part solution. That way you can adjust Dkh and calcium seperatly when you need to. There is a difference in dosing uneeded stuff to tank but dkh and calcium are needed because the organisms you have in the tank you them up. If you want to keep corals its a must

So how quickly do I need to get on to this because at the moment my corals look pretty good. Will they go down hill quickly if I don't act? I have read that very low levels of KH can be extremely dangerous but what about when it is borderline like mine?

When you keep softy's, regular water changes are sufficient. With that said, LPS and SPS demand calcium. In order to maintain calcium, the alkalinity and magnesium have to be at optimum levels. You can start with a two part dosing scheme. Two part is dosing calcium and dosing alkalinity.

Since you already have the alkalinity test kit (KH), now you need a calcium test kit. I would start by purchasing the test kits and try raising your KH level. Should you be dosing for a week and nothing happen, then you need to address your magnesium level.

You don't have to start dosing right away, but if you want optimum coral growth then yes you should.

Watch this video from newyorksteelo about calcium/alkalinity. It will explain things better.

Back
Top Bottom