Kill cyano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daney90

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It's been almost like a month now that Im having problem with cyano. At first I thought to just let it go since there wasn't that much on my rocks and nothing was on the sand. After few weeks it has slowly been multiplying to the point that I can see some growth on the sand now too.

As for my set up I only have skimmer, live rock and filter sock for filtration. I use RODI unit and reef crystals to make water. Im using the 120 led 3w lights that i got from eBay for 8 hrs and sometimes less. And for feeding i feed every other day.

Any advice? Suggestions?

I have same problem before did water change alot and grab some more clean up crew less feeding and i stop using any dosing stuff and i tried using weiss algae magic for the first 3 days and i stop because dont want it over fed in my tank well it works for me o yeah and i decided to make hang on back refugium with cheato and small live rock and sand with and yeah my cyano is gone :)

Refugium is still under process and im still looking for chaeto because lfs dont have it at the moment.

How big is the fuge do i need in order to have an effect on lowering phosphate?

I think it doesnt matter how big ... your lucky your using sump so u can put it in the middle if u have space .... Here is my refugium really small though but every week or 2 i need to trim it and instead of throwing it i put it inside my tank so my purple tang and eibil angel have a nice treat ..

Attachments

• image-2194664974.jpg
    image-2194664974.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 178
And to reduce phosphate i use rowa phos i only use half and bag it and throw it in my canister lol but yeah im learning too but that stuff helps me hope it helps

Attachments

• image-1687634722.jpg
    image-1687634722.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 176
O nice ur from toronto... Hi neighbor lol.. O yeah this is the hang on breeding i use and convert it to refugium but dont get the pump required in the box useless lol ... Need a lil powerful small pump and a small tube so it will fit the holes and where the water comes out i just put a sponge so it doesnt drip going to my tank always make me want to pee hearing the drip lol only cost me around less than $60 including the cheato

Attachments

• image-3975121027.jpg
    image-3975121027.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 160
  • image-892350103.jpg
    image-892350103.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 187
Nice fuge! :) My sump is actually really small that i can't have a good size fuge lol!!! It's only 10 gal and now its already packed with just the skimmer, heater, return pump and auto top off lol!! Im making a fuge out of 10 gal bucket and was successful on cutting the bucket to fit it in my stand but Im still waiting for dad to hole drill the stand and bucket lol!!!

Can I use gfo in a bag and put it in my sump or hob filter? I dont run canister filter. I love your how your light is so tiny :D where can I get that?

Yes neighbour! With your nice car Drive down here and gimme some cheato. :D Lfs dont have it as of now.

You can run Gfo in a bag, it just isn't as effective as a canister

Canister isnt all that effective at running GFO. I think you mean reactor. 35-40 bucks for a reactor, easily a good investment if you dont have one.

Morning :) do u have big als in your area i got the led for my small fuge there....and if your talking about the gfo ive seen at the store they are really fine so u need reactor for that and rowaphos that i have they have a nice bag that comes with it and im pretty sure u can put rowaphos in a sump ... Didnt say anything about not for sump just canister? Do u have a pic of the gfo your gonna use ....lol Driving would be fun .... never been to toronto before :) but just for cheato lol i can just send it lol

Yeah I think I'll just purchase the reactor but here in my area is around $60-75 bucks for a phosban 150. Gotta check my lfs and see if they have the reactor.

Morning :) do u have big als in your area i got the led for my small fuge there....and if your talking about the gfo ive seen at the store they are really fine so u need reactor for that and rowaphos that i have they have a nice bag that comes with it and im pretty sure u can put rowaphos in a sump ... Didnt say anything about not for sump just canister? Do u have a pic of the gfo your gonna use ....lol Driving would be fun .... never been to toronto before :) but just for cheato lol i can just send it lol

Yes there a big als 10 mins drive from my place. I'll check what lights they have either today or tomorrow and getting cheato for freeee yay! :)

Yes there a big als 10 mins drive from my place. I'll check what lights they have either today or tomorrow and getting cheato for freeee yay! :)

O nice :) but yeah if you really cant get cheato ill send some just say a lil xmas gift from santa ahaha

BRS for a reactor, I run a Phosban reactor the GFO will work a lot better in a reactor. When you run it in a reactor the water is forced through it and is more effective. When the GFO is in a bag water will travel the path of least resistance and will around it rather than through it. I would aslo suggest there HC GFO. I had an issue with Cyano and started running some of the gfo changed it out every 2 weeks and each time i added a little more GFO till I was running twice the recommended amount once PO4 came down cyano was gone I started using less and less.

Make sure if using GFO in a reactor you start at the least amount and work your way up. When I first ran mine I used the amount recommended and had my pump running full force. It killed some of my SPS corals and all my cheoto. My LFS told me I went from high phosphates to 0 too quick and SPS corals are sensitive to sudden changes. Everything else in my tank was fine.

Thank for the info guys. I will let you know when I get my reactor because next week theres gonna be the holidays and that will delay the delivery.

As of now i just have my chaeto.

Thank for the info guys. I will let you know when I get my reactor because next week theres gonna be the holidays and that will delay the delivery.

As of now i just have my chaeto.

Oh it arrived already i didn't even deliver it yet lol. But good that you found one there :)

Back
Top Bottom