Kill or cure????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

icathal

Aquarium Advice Regular
About 4 nights ago my Oscar got into a serious brawl and lost an eye! A lot of his fins are also very bad! I have separated him and the determined little fellow refuses to give in, a lot of the time he is motionless and has not eaten since. However today he is moving around a lot more!
I hate seeing him like this and just wonder what is best for him now?

Attachments

• image-2999647835.jpg
    image-2999647835.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 150
  • image-3670411451.jpg
    image-3670411451.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 159
His fins will grow back. I would suggest doing WC every 4 days the clean water helps heal faster. As for your question it is really up to you. If you like your fish a lot or not

reefdiver said:
His fins will grow back. I would suggest doing WC every 4 days the clean water helps heal faster. As for your question it is really up to you. If you like your fish a lot or not

I'm doing PWC every day and my usual 50% every week. I've used salt to help with infection in eye socket! It's because I like him so much I want to do what's best for him! I have another Oscar who had been around for years and he is very personable! This guy is my second ( in diff tank) and really like him just hope he can survive on one eye! Thanks

I had a goldfish with no eyes in his sockets once (looked really cool)
So I think your Oscar will be fine if he starts eating again. The only thing is he might have problems with depth perception and miss food when he comes up to eat. So he might have to be kept alone to get food.

tarpon said:
I had a goldfish with no eyes in his sockets once (looked really cool)
So I think your Oscar will be fine if he starts eating again. The only thing is he might have problems with depth perception and miss food when he comes up to eat. So he might have to be kept alone to get food.

Hope for him so. I do notice his judgement is off but hopefully when his fins grow a bit his swimming ability will improve and i will be keeping him alone until he is back to full health, hoping that happens. Having one eye will definitely give him a unique look..

garfy said:
What fish was he fighting with?

3 same sex jewels ganged up on him, he is bigger than them but I will not be keeping them together in future!

I have a lab that's been missing an eye for over a year. He's fine and actually has the best color of all my labs.

Malawi Freak said:
I have a lab that's been missing an eye for over a year. He's fine and actually has the best color of all my labs.

Did you just leave it to heal or do I need to add a treatment?
He has not eaten for a few days hope he eats soon!

garfy said:
You've already added salt so that should be enough to help him heal.He's probably felling very sorry for himself

Yes very sorry indeed! Will do my best for him!

Back
Top Bottom