Killer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darrenjohns06

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hire spot is a killer, thought I got rid of it as my marine Betta n lion dnt have it and it's been about 6 weeks with no sign, I put a yellow tang in and within 2 days he gets it, I no the only way is to take everything out the tank and leave it run for 6 months through a uv steriliser to get rid but realistically when u have a £700 pound coral that's the last thing I want to do, any1 no an easier option

You only need to leave the tank fishless for 6 WEEKS, not months. :-D

You can put the fish in a qt tank while the main tank sits fishless. The corals will be fine.

How big is this tank by the way?

Tangs are very susceptible to parasitic infections compared to your marine betta and lion. They are especially prone to it during you first introduction to the tank. But if your marine betta and lion arent getting it, maybe just run the sterilizer with them in the tank and dont add anymore fish. I would say you could add a cleaner shrimp or two and they will eat the parasite, but one of your fish might eat him

Hi, I had a white spot outbreak two years ago after adding a yellow tang. After looking at all the "reef safe" chemicals I decided none of them were worth the risk. At that time setting up a separate tank was out of the question so I figured the fish in my system were doomed. As a last ditch effort I introduced 2 scarlet cleaner shrimp. Within a few days the shrimp had cleaned all the spots off my fish and I have never had an outbreak again. Neon gobies will also clean fish but I wouldn't add more fish to a system that already has white spot but, the white spot doesn't seem to effect inverts.

I don't know much about this someone local is trying it out and they had good luck with it the only thing that doesn't look great is the xenia .No-Ich by FishVet, Inc. So far so good it has been 4 weeks without any other spots on any of the fish all invertebrates are doing great, They are also using garlic vitamins and huffs (I don't know what huffs is the next time I go to lfs I am going to ask a lot of questions). This store is out of town so it might be a few weeks before I can get there.

I will have to buy some on this vet fish stuff and give that a try. White spot still in tank an really want to get shot of it quickly

They sell only through distributors to individual stores, but a quick google search shows that it is available through Pet Solutions or Amazon.

Great!!!! Brought a butterfly today and only just red in my book it isnt feef safe and is nipping my zina

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly,, tangs in any small system are stressed, and that brings on parasites. On the reef, tangs travel far and wide. They really shouldnt be in any tank less than 100 gallons, or a lot more. Too many LFS are anxious to sell fish and dont care that a tang in a stressful environment can bring the whole tank population down.

Darrenjohns06 said:
Great!!!! Brought a butterfly today and only just red in my book it isnt feef safe and is nipping my zina , god dam

Butterfly fish are also not a beginner fish. Try to use forum resources or google to better make decisions for your tank. You in the long run will be much happier and so will your tank.

Reactions: HN1
Some gd advice, I'm using this site cuz the. More advice the better I think, what does lfs mean lol, is it local fish store, they said butterfly's are reef safe when the 1 I have clearly isn't

FWIW......I had the exact same problem when i dropped my tiny hippo in my 75g.

She developed ich after a couple days. I freaked out and started reading on line what I needed to do and what products i could use. Use this product, empty the tank and run for 8 weeks, do a freshwater dip yadda yadda yadda.

I may have gotten super lucky, but I did none of these. I made sure my water quality was pristine (tested every single day-PH, Salinity, Trates, Phos), always made sure to have seaweed w/garlic extract on the clip available to her and made sure to minimize temp fluctuation! The clowns and firefish never got it, so i figured i wouldn't go too aggressive with a treatment. After about 2-3 weeks, she cleared up and hasn't been back since. She's actually doing very well these days and is a gorgeous deep blue. :)

Like i said...maybe I just got lucky, but the non-aggressive treatment worked for me.

Yea...you can also use liveaquaria - while it's not a bible by any means, it gives some goodlines as to what fish you should mess with, and what fish you should leave alone....and how much gallonage a specific fish requires. Even there though, I do find some of their ratings a little odd...

Blue hippo tang for example is listed as easy, yet we all know they're prone to disease (Even says so in the description) - as such I would think they'd be moderate at the least, no?

Anyway...yea, generally speaking this is not the hobby to play with if you're prone to impulse purchases.

Back
Top Bottom