Killifish for a 36g bow front

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgthebeast

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my planned stock list is
1 angel fish
7 black neon tetras
6 silver hatchet fish
6 cories
5 black khuil loaches

Heavily (or will be, the plants have to grow some) planted
Sunsun 75g filter
Lquid ferts

Anyway, I wanted something to give a little color and I know most killifish hang around the top, so I was wondering if I could pull off a pair of them in this stocking.

I also have various size ghost shrimp that the angel leaves alone so I'm not really worried about it harassing then as it has also been raised with smaller fish.

But even if I can have a pair of killis, I have no idea on what species

You have to be careful with Killifish in larger tanks and with Angelfish. Some killi's are too small especially the females which I have found many angels will go after. I've kept Rachovii Killi males only in my 220g angelfish tank. The angels leave the colorful males alone but try killing all dull females that are quite small. You can only keep multiple male killi's together in a large tank as many species of males fight in smaller tanks. Also stay away from larger killi's like Golden Wonders as they can get quite aggressive as they mature and get good sized. Right now I have a Chocolate Australe Killi male in the 220g that is doing quite well. He wouldn't play nice with anyone in other killi tanks, even females and is fine in with the larger fish. One of the most beautiful killi's IMO that is quite colorful is the Golden Australe Killi, Aphyosemion australe. You could probably do a couple pairs or 2-3 males only. Just watch your angel.

What ever you do make sure you don't get Gardneri killifish for your tank. Although they are very colorful they are very aggressive. I had a pair for 4 days and lost 11 tetras, cories, and a bnp. Just an word of warning.

What ever you do make sure you don't get Gardneri killifish for your tank. Although they are very colorful they are very aggressive. I had a pair for 4 days and lost 11 tetras, cories, and a bnp. Just an word of warning.
+1 they're nasty lil buggers.. I had to take them out of my 29 community, too cool to return so I set them up their own little rage cage...

I've kept Gardneri killifish without incident and even had Australe killi's bully them. Any killi male can be aggressive. I keep several species and often 2 or even 3 species together depending on the tank size and only in heavily planted tanks. It just depends on the individual temperament. Right now my unruly Australe is with 3 male Betta's in the 220g with absolutely no aggression. The size of the tank and amount of plant cover can make all the difference in the world. I've also kept individual smaller killi pairs in my nano fish tank without any aggression towards the nano fish. Even Gardneri. There are no guarantee's whether or not they will work in a community.

So they are kinda of like Betta's as in temperament, and If worst comes to worst I always have a spare 10g lying around. So heavily planted and line of sight breaks make a world of difference?
I will also make sure to keep an eye on the angel, I don't want to but it any high dollar snacks

So they are kinda of like Betta's as in temperament, and If worst comes to worst I always have a spare 10g lying around. So heavily planted and line of sight breaks make a world of difference?

Yes, and yes to the questions from my experience keeping them. You just never know what your going to get so having a backup plan is always a good idea.

Just research any one your interested in and watch for larger killi's like the Golden Wonder as they can get good size with an attitude to match.

Back
Top Bottom