Killifish in community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxfrenkel19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone,

I have room for 1-2 more smallish fish in my community tank, and I'm hoping to add some color! Some of the most beautiful fish (my opinion) are killifish, but I can't find a lot of information on how they do in community tanks. There are some opinions on the web, but little first hand experience.

So my question: how do killifish generally do in community tanks?

Here are a few killifish that I really like (I'm not sure how many are readily available in stores, but they are my favorites after an hour of browsing):

Fundulopanchax sjoestedti - Killifish Species Profile
Aphyosemion striatum - Killifish Species Profile
Simpsonichthys magnificus - Killifish Species Profile
Nothobranchius rachovii - Killifish Species Profile
Aphyosemion bualanum - Killifish Species Profile

My community tank includes:
1 angel
2 bolivian rams
1 albino bnp
3 otto cats
1 neon dwarf gourami (getting him wednesday)
6 furcata rainbows

If anyone out there has experience with killies in communities, or killi advice in general, I'd really appreciate the input!

Thanks

I love killifish I have three different species in my tanks. Honestly I would worry about the Angelfish though, if you got some bottom dwelling kkillies you would probably be OK I have blue finned in with two angels no problem but they stay at the bottom I would be scared to put my clown killies in there. They stay at the top and I am scared my angels would think they are a snack. Plus you would need to consider personalities I know some angels can be quite nasty luckily my guys are peaceful:)

Thanks for the response! I'm glad to hear killies work in a community tank

My angel is only about 2.5 inches long and has been no trouble with my little rainbows so far, so hopefully she won't be a problem. I would be a little more nervous with a bottom dweller, as the rams can be very territorial.

Are killies best kept in pairs? Or can I go for a single male?

Also, any experience with any of the species I listed? I know i've seen the rachovii at the lfs, so they can't be too uncommon.

Thanks for the help!

No problem. While I don't really know if you SHOULD keep a single killie I don't think I ever would they really do enjoy each others company and tend to pair up quickly especially if u have a male and female they are small fish so my guess is that they just feel more comfortable when they are not alone:). As for the second part I have rainbows but not the kind you do I have bosemanis and new guineas never had issues with either! I have 4 albino bnp again no issues I have a longfinned gbr that I just adore I have no issues with aggression but he is single I go back n forth about getting another I live that guy but I don't want aggression and I have heard it go both ways. I have never had a neon blue dg but I have had the regular kind honestly I have never found any gourami to be anywhere near as nasty as some would like to make them but I do know what dwarfs are susceptible to an illness named after them i am not sure if neons apply to this I live dwarfs but I don't have any now and I am leery to purchase another because they tend to be difficult to keep healthy:(

maxfrenkel19 said:
Hey everyone,

I have room for 1-2 more smallish fish in my community tank, and I'm hoping to add some color! Some of the most beautiful fish (my opinion) are killifish, but I can't find a lot of information on how they do in community tanks. There are some opinions on the web, but little first hand experience.

So my question: how do killifish generally do in community tanks?

Here are a few killifish that I really like (I'm not sure how many are readily available in stores, but they are my favorites after an hour of browsing):

Fundulopanchax sjoestedti - Killifish Species Profile
Aphyosemion striatum - Killifish Species Profile
Simpsonichthys magnificus - Killifish Species Profile
Nothobranchius rachovii - Killifish Species Profile
Aphyosemion bualanum - Killifish Species Profile

My community tank includes:
1 angel
2 bolivian rams
1 albino bnp
3 otto cats
1 neon dwarf gourami (getting him wednesday)
6 furcata rainbows

If anyone out there has experience with killies in communities, or killi advice in general, I'd really appreciate the input!

Thanks

I don't know what everyone else's experiences are and each fish can be different but my experience with killis along with a couple of my mates is that they will nip tails of other top feeding fish if they're competing for food and when the killi is of a good size. But like I said everyone has different experiences there's no harm in trying them and relocating them to a good home if all fails.

I am sorry i just figured out what ypu were actually asking i do not have eperience with any of the exact fish on your list but i do have some from the Aphyosemion family

I have a golden dream killfish along with two dwarf flame gourami, rubber lipped Pleco and a bamboo shrimp. The gourami and the killi one day stopped getting along and I don't know what to do…

Also it seems to me like I have read that the rachovii ffamily tends to be aggressive

I actually have Rachovii killi's in my 220g planted tank. And yes, males can be aggressive especially if in too small of tank. I also have 13 adult angels with no problems but also have a lot of little fish, so they are nothing special to the angels. But you have to know the personalities of your angels, some are fine, some not. I've only had to remove 1 big male angel from my tank due to chasing little fish, the rest could care less. I actually have 50 or more ghost shrimp in there and the angels don't bother them either. And I did get my 3 pairs at a LFS, which is rare. Here's two of my males.

Attachments

• tank 10.jpg
    tank 10.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 559
  • tank 12.jpg
    tank 12.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 471
Back
Top Bottom