Killifish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone have any good info on these? I am having a hard time finding any. Really interested in them. Are there any types that shoal? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Most people keep Killifish to breed them and sell them. They are usually kept in pairs in small tanks (2-10g). Some of them may be ok with some schooling fish, but most people keep them in species tanks.

If you are looking for a community fish, I would stick with the Sparkling gouramis. :)

Killifish are actually really diverse. From 8+" predators to inch and a half fish that do fine in small groups. The AKA link mg posted is a good start. All killifish seem to be labeled by the most common in the chain stores and unfortunately the really cool ones aren't common. Kinda like betta species...

I could never speak out against sparklers though. They are really cool fish!

Yes, like Golden Wonder Killies....wow. Don't keep those with small fish or they'll go missing. Those are the only Killies I've ever seen in a pet/fish store, sadly.

It is a shame that the cool Killies aren't more common...but I guess that is part of what makes them cool. :)

I am actually kind of glad that they aren't more common. I was thinking about it the other day and a lot of fish would probably be better off if they were in the wild where they belong. I kind of feel bad that I have mine in a tank, but at least I can try and give them as close to the habitat as I can.

The flipside is that with habitat destruction, fish tanks are the only place some fish exist.

Speaking of habitat destruction.. have you guys heard of Lonesome George? It's really sad, he's possibly the last of his kind (some giant Galapagos tortoise), and they've tried to get him to breed with some close relatives and/or get some "genetic material" from him, but they haven't had any luck.

Back
Top Bottom