Killifish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khalix

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have been really wanting some of the more colorful varieties of killifish for a while now.. but the actual fish tend to be pretty steep in price.

Another member mentioned hatching killifish eggs, and I'd also read about it at some point a while before.. the problem is finding the eggs to begin with from someone who doesn't seem shady.

I've tried aquabid and ebay and I always chicken out before I click it.. because some of them post with a price of .99 on some of their auctions and it seems strange to pay so little. Some of these listed the shipping clearly and it wasn't horrible considering how far they'd ship.. but I am an eternal pessimist and really don't want to get ripped off.

Has anyone else purchased eggs before.. and if so, from whom? Just wanting soooome kind of reassurance before I part from my money. Or I can wait for sillykillies.com.. just not sure how long they will be out of commission.

eBay can be a wonderful place. For $0.99, I'd give it a shot, but only from a place in the US. Customs can be tricky with fish and plants.

eBay can be a wonderful place. For $0.99, I'd give it a shot, but only from a place in the US. Customs can be tricky with fish and plants.

Seems like all the 99 cent ones are in other countries, though. I will keep browsing. It doesn't help that I'm not 100% set on which type of killi I want to go with.. there are too many pretty ones out there!

Thanks for the response.

Also.. it seems like it's easier to ship eggs since it's a dry shipment. There's not a lot of transhipper junk to confuse me. This one guy charges $10 for eggs and free shipping, for instance.

Well, I finally took the plunge. Ordered 50 eggs of assorted varieties.. figure this way I can know in the future which I prefer.. Now just hopefully at least some of them hatch!

Long wait, though. 30th, possibly. :( Oh well, gives me time to set up my brine/killifish hatcheries. Anyone ever done it? Any tips welcome.

I think I may join that association.. depending on how my first batch goes. :)
You get access to fish and eggs from other members you can't otherwise get. Sounds good to me.

When i first got mine they came in a 1 inch peat. I filled a 10 gallon up 2 inches put the peat in there. Got a air stone, got a small light for it, and some small moss ball's and little plants like flame moss and then i just let the tank be for about 2-3 day's. once i saw that there were fry i tossed in some fairy shrimp that i had bought and hatched in another tank. ( Very easy shrimp to hatch they need fresh water and a light you can even do it in the tank that the killies are going to be in and let them breed while you wait for the killies) And after that maybe 1-2 weeks I got some small nice looking fry. 3-4 weeks later I got the fry that is in my 92 gallon and the red and blue one. I do PWC just to keep the water clean also have some bladder snails in there cleaning the tank. Make sure as the fry get bigger you add more water. I started off with 2 inches of water and after the 1-2 weeks went up like 1/3 of water in the 10 gallon and now i have it filled up.

Waiting on eggs right now. Won't likely be until the end of the month before they arrive.

What species are you waiting for? We need a good log. ;)

Killies are soooo under appreciated and surrounded by half truths.

Yes we need a log lol. Hope they look nice and most hatch.

I'm expecting 50 eggs of Nothobranchius Rachovii and 50 eggs of Nothobranchius Foerschi. I'll keep you posted. :) I'll be lucky if any of them hatch, so I'd be happy with even a couple!

I got N rachoviis also really nice. Good luck and who did you buy from?

I shipped some killifish for another country and only 3 fry hatched. Try a Miejer. I have found golden wonders there or a petland I have found some.

Back
Top Bottom