kits vs individual parts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almcloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
The 10 gal tank I've got is one of those kits with filter, heater, thermometer, lights (day/night) and other accessories. What's your guys' take on that? The rep at one of the fish stores tried to talk me out of it saying that its "garbage" and I should get better one by buying individual better items even if it means more investments. Again, does it make a big difference kit vs individual?

I presume that when you purchase a kit, especially for a 10 gallon, you're going to get a pretty weak filter. You're also probably going to get a heater that is preset, which is not good.

I think the best way to determine if the equipment will work for you is to establish what stock you will be keeping in the tank, what temp you need to maintain, etc.

Check the parts yourself. Check the gph on the filter, the wattage on the heater, and wether the heater is adjustable. I have a 20 gallon kit from *gulp* Top Fin! And it works great. I am considering replacing the filter not because it doesnt work though. It works great I just want something easier to build bacteria in. It all depends on the kit!

Kits are designed for people who want everything, fast, for as little money as possible. It is easy to assume that everything in the kit is appropriate for the size of the tank, but all too frequently the components are puny and cheap. Far better to do your research first, and then get advice on a site like this one, and then buy good components for your specific need.

The one part that I find to be shamelessly underpowered in many kits is the filter, and that is the a part that MUST be well designed and correctly sized. Especially in a tank for a beginner.

Some of those kits say they include everything and dont. I bought a 5 gallon kit that came with everything and showed pictures of tropical fish and had no heater.

That's the exact same kit I picked up to use as a QT. Yeah, the filter sucks, the heater sucks, the light is decent enough (although I'm not a fan of the blue LED's in general). It works fine for me since I only use it for a couple weeks at a time when quarantining new or ill fish.

The main problem with it is that the way the hood is cut there's no room for an upgraded filter. There's a small notch cut out which really only has room for the included filter and cords for heater, air line tubing, etc...with only an inch or two to spare on either side. I've got a couple spare HOB's sitting around and none will fit on the tank.

I agree that even though it sounds odd...the smaller a tank is the more important it is to have decent quality components since there's not as much room for error.

Personally I like buying everything individually since the chances are the longer you're in the hobby...the better stuff you're gonna want down the road anyway.

If money isn't an issue, like I said, it makes a great QT so it's worth keeping for that reason...but it's not a great full time display tank.

If that gives you an excuse to give to the spouse that a larger tank is easier to maintain...go for it ;).

If space is the issue and a smaller tank is the only size you've got space for...I agree to buy items separately. Especially online where you can find the best prices.

Just a side note...but if you decide to return and re-buy, or purchase a new one in general...rimless is the way to go for smaller tanks IMO. I'm desperately trying to convince the wife that we need to upgrade our 5 gallon Fluval Chi Betta tank (also rimless technically) to a 11 gallon rimless aquarium. Check these out (again, this involves money not being the concern :) ).
http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/glass-rimless-aquariums.html

Last edited:
That's the same one I bought, I have a Betta in it so if ur looking for a simple cheap tank to house a few small fish it's a good one.

Back
Top Bottom