koi 2 hour + transport

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SKB

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I found someone to finally take my koi into their pond. Trouble is, this pond is a 1 1/2-2 hour trip. What's the best way to transport this koi during the trip? The person taking it knows about fish and acclimation, the problem only is getting it there. Thanks in advance!

How big are they? I would use a large cooler (or two, depending on their size/number) as this will keep the temps stable and you can close the lid to keep water and fish in. Pickup a battery powered aerator(s) and use these. Walmart/any hunting outdoor type store will carry them reasonably and they last for 48+hrs with good batteries. The aerators are a good idea anyway as these can be used in the future in the event of a power outage. I have a couple of these large coolers (on wheels) and have used these successfully for transporting fish and bringing blue claws back from the shore (3+hr trips). Good job finding them a happy home and good luck with the trip!

Thank you! Its only one. I had saved it from ...well just say an unfit home. But I can only provide it with a temporary home because I don't have the space/tank size appropriate for a koi. I was supposed to have a home for it at the beginning of spring, but the person moved far away for the summer to write a book so im glad I found a home now. He/She is a white butterfly koi and approximately 4-6 inches but that's with fin length.

Back
Top Bottom