Kribensis Identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ardynas

Aquarium Advice Freak
I lost my male Krib and brought another home for my female. When I saw this guy in the store he was very pale and just figured he'd color-up once in the tank.

Well, he hasn't colored up but did pair off with the female. His black stripe does appear once in a while but he looks like this most of the time.
Is this male some sort of albino cross or something? Will he ever color up?
He's not nearly as aggressive as my last male.

original.jpg

I have no clue, but his fins are just gorgeous! I've never seen one with such red and green coloring. When I got my male he looked like that for the first day then colored up.

thank you

Thanks for the response GL.

I'm feeding them New life Spectrum Cichlid formula w/color enhancing. He's very happy with his new wife and shaking like a paint mixer. He'd lay the eggs if he could... :lol: The guy at the LFS told me he had a brother from the same brood and he was stunning.

I was hoping he would color up nicely but I think harmony and non-aggression trumps color in this situation. I don't think I could pull him. Would however like to understand why he's that color.

That krib is awesome! I never seen one that had that grey color without the stripe.... The fins too are awesome! Glad to see they get along, I'm so hesitant to get my male a mate haha. Best of luck and really good find!! (sorry if this shows up twice the app froze on me before!)

Looks exactly like my male. Let me see if I can dig up a picture..

EDIT: After looking through my pics it seems like he has lost his black horizontal bar/line. Earlier pictures showed him with a nice dark line but now he is stripe-less. I'll try to snap a picture of him tonight, I got a new phone and don't have any pictures of him on this one.

Last edited:
I'm so hesitant to get my male a mate haha. Best of luck and really good find!!

Thanks Joey,

If you've never had a pair of Kribs I'd recommend it. It's quite the experience and very entertaining. I gave them a corner (w/more caves than they need) and they practically take half the tank during spawning. Then they will fearlessly prance the fry around the aquarium.

Looks exactly like my male. Let me see if I can dig up a picture..

EDIT: After looking through my pics it seems like he has lost his black horizontal bar/line. Earlier pictures showed him with a nice dark line but now he is stripe-less. I'll try to snap a picture of him tonight, I got a new phone and don't have any pictures of him on this one.

Look forward to it meegosh!

Back
Top Bottom