Kribs and babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeborahJane

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,
I have a 100 litre tank with a Krib pair and 6 of their 3wk offspring, along with 6 Neons, did have 10 but the male killed 4!!!!. The Kribs are preparing to breed again..question/s
Do I leave the babies in the tank with parents?
Do I try and catch them and place in diffrent tank?
The parents are not aggresive to the young and still seem to be caring for them, but definite cleaning etc going on.
I was hoping to add a few more fish before the Kribs decided to breed and the young were a bit bigger, but looks like the adults have beaten me to it.

If you remove the fry, expect the krib adults to spawn every 4 weeks or so. This means you have to have a plan for all those fry that survive. My lfs will not accept krib fry until they are between 5-6 months, because they can sex them at that age.

I left my fry in the community tank with their parents. That way, I didn't have a huge surplus of fry and the parents didn't spawn as often as they already had a brood to take care of.

Many Thanks.
Will leave the fry in and see how it goes. My LFS has said that they will take the fry at 4/6 mths old. I do have another tank set up just incase it gets a bit too much for the parents. Although my daughter is after some Convict Cichlids of her own!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom