Kribs-peaceful or violent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angels4thawin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi people!
so once again i come to u guys for help,this time on the topic of weather kribs are peaceful or violent as i want to consider buying a pair but looking on the net people say it rips fins and attacks fishes yet some say its the most peaceful fish ever!:confused:what are ur opions?should i get them or not?
fishes in my tank are:4 angels
1 pearl gourami
8 platies
5 neons
THANKS ONCE AGAIN!

Well, in my experience kribs aren't too aggressive. They coexist peacefully in my 55g with 12 cardinals and 6 cories. What are the dimensions of your aquarium?

I wouldnt recommend it because you already have the angels in there and he might take over their terriotry because angels are cichlids too. So i think you should leave the kirbs out for the angels sake :)

I wouldnt recommend it because you already have the angels in there and he might take over their terriotry because angels are cichlids too. So i think you should leave the kirbs out for the angels sake :)
remember,kribs are bottom dwellers and angels stay mlre to the top,unless the angels are spawning,it shouldnt be a problem

kribs are peacefull fish untli they are breeding. They will then only attack other fishes to protect the fry. My kribs are in a 60L tank and breeds every month

mine are in a 55g, but they havent bred yet i dont think. They only defend their itty bitty seashell and the male is somewhat agressive to fry and juvenile fish at feeding time.

Is the aggression better or worse if you just get one? I am considering getting just one in my 20 gal with a female betta, pearl gourami, 3 cherrys, 4 serpaes and 1 danio. (I won't do it until I lose at least one of them, though. I don't want more than 10 fish in this tank.) If you get just one it can't spawn and it seems that spawning time is when they can get nasty.

Is the aggression better or worse if you just get one? I am considering getting just one in my 20 gal with a female betta, pearl gourami, 3 cherrys, 4 serpaes and 1 danio. (I won't do it until I lose at least one of them, though. I don't want more than 10 fish in this tank.) If you get just one it can't spawn and it seems that spawning time is when they can get nasty.

Your tank is too small for another species. When you do lose fish, you might consider rounding up your schools rather that introducing a new species to the tank.

I am trying to get away from schooling fish for now. How would it be if I ended up with a female betta, pearl gourami (maybe a pair), then a krib pair? I might keep one type of school after that depending on water params. and activity. This is all still a thought in process because my fish are all healthy at the moment and it is going to be a while before I can get anything at all. But, I am liking the kribs and need to decide what kind of set up will work for them when the time comes. Thanks!

angels4thawin said:
Um my tank is 180 liters

Approximately 48 US gallons...no I wouldn't try it just to be safe...plus if those angels pair up to form two separate pairs you'll already be having two territorial cichlids pairs, I don't know about one more...

Back
Top Bottom