Kribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeborahJane

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All
Got a tank set up with a pair of Kribs who I think are breeding...my question is can I do the normal cleaning, filter checks etc and replanting as long as i dont disturb them. I got the fish from my mum and they were in a community tank but never bred. Ive had them about 2 weeks now. They are in the tank on their own...I was going to get some Neons, but not sure what to do now.
Im not 100% certain they have bred, although the female has taken over a hollow log, pops out every now and then and disappears back in again with the male guarding the entrance. I cant see inside either..very frustrating!!!

You may want to add some dither fish. Something fast enough to not get hurt by the kribs (i.e. school of barbs or tetra's). Also, having something in the tank will help keep the kribs working together and focus attention away from each other.

If you are trying to breed them, just leave them be. Can you see the inside of the hollow log? They will lay their eggs on the roofs of caves. Mine always dug a pit under a piece of slate with only one entrance and laid the eggs on the top.

The female will get a huge pink belly when she's in the mood. Both parents should help out with parenting tasks but don't be surprised if they eat the first few batches. My first batch made it to free swimming stage and the parents ate them. The next batches they all made it.

Many Thanks,
The female defo has a lovely purply pink belly and has been tempting the male, yesterday she went into the log and spent ages in there, he was swimming in and out. I never expected them to breed(if they have) so quickly as they had been moved from mums tank to mine. The male is patrolling the tank, but with nothing to occupy him he might bother the female.....a few Neons might be ok??

Well if they did spawn they will both be very busy for the next few weeks. You would be fine with neons, the kribs should leave them alone.

Just be aware that sometimes the male will pick on the female after breeding. It happened to mine pretty bad that I actually had to separate them. The female lost almost all her tail fin but grew back quickly in QT with lots of water changes.

Might want to start talking to a LFS about buying the fry or getting store credit. You'll have more kribs than you know what to do with. They are worse than guppies! LOL

To answer one of your original questions, you can do water changes even when you have free swimming fry. The parents will mound the fry all together in one big puppy pile. It's adorable to watch. This pile of fry will remain frozen until it's obvious that the predator (meaning you) has left the premises.

Okies,
Thanks for the advice...Got a few decent LFS round here, so will start asking on the off chance:eek:
Thankyou Lynda:)

Back
Top Bottom