Kyle's 93 Gallon Rimless Cube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brilliant_Barbs_21

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well it has begun. I've been waiting to start this for a few weeks since I've made virtually no progress, but I figured there's no reason not to. This build will be very slow since I don't always have the proper funds for equipment.

It's going to be a reef no doubt, and most likely sps dominant. My fish stock is going to be a school of Anthias, a pair of clowns, and a yellow tang. The yellow tang is questionable since the footprint of the tank is not ideal, so I may substitute it when the times comes.

Setup will probably be dry rock since it's cheaper, but if there's a deal I'll get live rock. If not I'll just seed the base rock with the coralline encrusted rock from my nano. Speaking of my nano, it will be the frag tank for this build so I can acclimate coral like acropora to light before it's in the tank. The frag tank is full LED, and this tank will also be full LED.

So follow along if you want! Hopefully it will turn into something beautiful.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388165422.427478.jpg

Will be following :) I have no salt water experience but hoping to set up a low tech reef in a few months :)

Ill only follow if you stock it with massive amounts of sps :). Lol jk I'd follow anyway but sps would make it amazing!

Lol thanks guys. Now I have to figure out if I should buy filtration or lighting first. Hmmm... Decisions decisions. I want to get filtration to get it up and running, but I'll need the lighting for the live rock.

How is the scrubber coming along? Can't really tell from the pics.

So sorry everyone! I've been so busy lately I have not been able to keep up. I haven't been on AA in months!!!!! But here I am! :lol:

The ATS came out well its a pretty unique design that turned out to work well. Right now I'm focusing on getting quality testing equipment, my protein skimmer, and of course my lighting. Fishman- I'm definitely doing LEDs. Probably Build my LED lights to be exact. I came on to ask a question or two about them also:
1. Anybody have them? If so, did they come with a manual dimmer or do I have to buy one?
2. How do different lights blend? I am going to get four fixtures ($1000 EEK), two 20000 k and two 12000 k to get an average color temp of around 16000 k which imo is the perfect mix of blues and whites. If I alternate with the fixtures (20, 12, 20, 12) will the light blend, or will it look a little awkward? My tank is so hard to light due to the unique dimensions and aesthetic requirements from my family (no big and bulky fixtures like the taos)

My progress so far is considerable actually. The tank finished cycling, and I got a single bar goby to hold down the fort and keep the bacteria fed. All the sand is in, and yesterday I FINALLY finished the aquascape. Oh what a chore! I ordered a 50 lb box of key largo from reefcleaners, and an extra 8 lbs from my lfs. All dry, no live. Then i drilled holes through the centers and ran polyethylene tubing through each one and epoxied all the rocks together with JB waterweld and PC11. Each pillar and arch is seperate and was put together and epoxied underwater. It took three days of nonstop work! It may sound easy, but it surely was not. Yet the reward is excellent! I love the outcome. Once I have my lights and get some coralline growing so the rocks blend in with each other it will look so much better! the algae will also grow on the epoxy so you will not even tell it isn't rock.
:fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1:

Attachments

• IMG_0981.jpg
    IMG_0981.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0980.jpg
    IMG_0980.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0982.jpg
    IMG_0982.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 217
T5s are in. Lol this build is so slow nobody is following or cares at all. Anyways, I put in a 20k color temp 30 inch build my led fixture. That's on it's way. I'll have two of those (75 degree reflectors) plus these and lighting will be done. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396107196.790190.jpg

I'll take a picture once the led fixture is up. That will make everything bluer. Right now the actinic t5s don't even bring out any coral fluorescence.

Very nice tank you got going there. I have to stop looking at all these rimless tanks, you guys are giving me ideas!!! Any more thoughts in coral selection? That arch needs some color :)

The arch is going to be the best part!!! The top is going to be different acropora following the color wheel to expose colors that don't pop as much look amazing. Then my lfs is holding an orange, foot long montipora that plates out half a foot and I'm going to glue it to the arch so it makes shade under to keep some nps on the inner pillar wall. I can't wait till I have the lighting to start adding the coral I want! Lol now I'm all excited

Back
Top Bottom