LA' totally awesome Pure ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tim98

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys. I am getting ready to cycle my tank and was wondering if any has used "LA's Totally Awesome Pure Ammonia". I got it at the dollar store. Only problem is that it does not list the ingredients, so I don't know what else is in it. Just wondering if any knows about it. Thanks

Shake the bottle, if it foams then it has additives. Other than that little piece of wisdom, I have no idea about ammonia. I fishless cycle completely different. :)

Yea I think its no good.

How do you fishless cycle?

I use Seachem Stability or Nutrafin Cycle (Stability is preferred but not always available)
Dose according to directions, and use either raw shrimp or dead feeders instead of live fish.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

I personally dont use those products listed above, as they have low success rates in most cases. You can use raw shrimp from the grocery store, but it in a mesh bag. Or pure ammonia :)

They actually work good in the way I use them. I wouldn't trust them for using with live fish as they proclaim. For the record, I have cycled 8 tanks using these and the methods posted and have had great results.

Most of the bacteria are dead by time you open that bottle. There might be few still living, either way, you are adding a food source by using that product. Throw in the raw shrimp or the dead feeders adds more to it.

By saying they have low success rates, yet not trying it yourself, can you back it up? 8 out of 14 tanks cycled with these products does not count into the "low success rate"

I didnt say they had no success rates. Just very low. I'm not going to waste my time or money on a product that has more bad reviews than good. If that's what works for you, good. I would rather advocate a method that I know works for sure. From personal experience, and reading tons of other successful experiences.

I never said that you said there were no success rates. I even quoted you as saying low.

However, my point was that you are basing something on never having actually used the product, purely on hearsay. If you're going to do a pro/con, you should base it on actual use of the product, conduct experiments, not based on what you think may be the case. If the product is used correctly, and no, I don't advocate use with live critters, then it is a very effective product. It gives you a food source base. I've found more good or 50/50 reviews than bad about Stability and more 50/50 to bad for Cycle. I've tried to ammonia thing once, didn't do a bit of good for me. At least with these products I have safely and successfully cycled my tanks, friends tanks and even have my LFS hooked on the process I use.

PetSmart Seachem Stability Customer Ratings & Reviews - Top & Best Rated Products

Biological Starters

The only pure ammonia I found was at the dollar store. As stated before, shake it. bubbles bad.

OK here is the stuff I found at True Value hardware (after the lady told me they didn't have it). Its blue ribbon pure ammonia and does not foam up when shaken.

I've found that it is pointless to do a fishless cycle (ish) once you have an established tank. When you buy/receive the filter for the new tank, run it on the old tank for a few days-a week, and you'll be able to add fish by the end of that period. If you have two identical tanks, you can swap filters earlier, and probably avoid a mini cycle if your established tank isn't overstocked.

As for additives, I would like to see a side by side comparison between a "cycle" product and just a normal fishless cycle. I'd expect the times to be pretty close to within a few days of eachother (leaving out biospira, because that has been proven to work, if the lfs takes care of it and it's not expired).

For ammonia, I think the two ingredients should be like ammonium hydroxide and water (the one I have has a chelating agent, and I think that was fine).

nutrafin is working perfectly for me, its just, if you are as paranoid as i am, dont use it, you will have nitrites and nitrates so fast LOL ( for me, i had nitrites and nitrates within hours, dont believe me, ask Petty_Officer_Salamandar )

i started my cycle around july 5th i believe and i think i am almost done, i just need to get my nitrites down and i believe i am set

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom