Lab preggo i think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow thanks for that u didn't have to do that whole list but thanks very much. My jewel gets along so far. They will be split up soon.

Chasnkevin4ever said:
This is what I need to know about all my fish if anyone can help. Ph levels, nitrate level, ammonia level, any other levels I need to test. If it's a mbuna or what? What they eat? Anything else I need to know and I will definitely write is all down cuz my memory is crap lol. Thanks everyone for the info I wanna do right by my fish.
My fish
Blue Hap
Yellow lab
Pearl cichlid
Plecto
Ram cichlid
Dino bichir

All those fish are very different... I don't even know where to begin... they all have different diets, water parameters, aggression levels.

OsciTheOscar said:
i use NLS pellets... if u were to treat them every once in a while you could give them a little bloodworm but not as a regular thing....

IMO/E Mbuna should not be fed bloodworms even on occasion, not worth the risk of bloat.

Chasnkevin4ever said:
Blue Hap
Yellow lab
Pearl cichlid
Pleco
Ram cichlid
Dino bichir

"Blue hap" Sciaenochromis fryeri is a lake Malawi Haplochromine that needs a 6' tank do to adult size and activity level and is best kept with other Haps they are to timid to be kept with Mbuna.

"Pearl cichlid" Geophagus brasiliensis is a South American river cichlid and really has no business being housed with rift lake cichlids.

"Pleco" If we are talking a common pleco they grown up 24" and need a minimum of 180 gallons .

Rams are a new world cichlid that is much to small to be housed with such large and boisterous cichlids.

"Dino bichir" Polypterus senegalus will grow up to 12" and will eat any small fish it can fit into it's mouth.

What size tank is this?! I think you may have to go back and take a look at your stock list.

Different tanks. My lab, Hap, and jewel are together for now. When I got this cichlids I was told from petsmart they could be housed together and be fine. Which I was totally misinformed, I am doing everything to get them in right tanks and split up. the ram is not in there. I already have talked to some people about splitting them up and how to do it.

They were but then I started talking to some people and helped me decide where they needed to go until I get bigger tanks. Which will be soon I have a moray eel that needs his upgrade, so all the tanks are getting upgraded so nobody dies or gets killed :)

Chasnkevin4ever said:
Different tanks. My lab, Hap, and jewel are together for now. When I got this cichlids I was told from petsmart they could be housed together and be fine. Which I was totally misinformed, I am doing everything to get them in right tanks and split up. the ram is not in there. I already have talked to some people about splitting them up and how to do it.

Kk sorry I also thought you had them all together.

Nope :) I'm trying to split them up at least my Hap, lap, and pearl. It's going to be with in the month cuz I know as they get bigger they get more aggressive.

I'm sorry, but I am confused. Do you have a pearl cichlid or a jewel cichlid? Two completely different fish, one is South American and one African?

Oh ok cool, cause I was going to say don't Pearl Cichlid get to be like 12"?
Are you rehoming the Lab, Hap, and Jewel all together? I was only asking because I'm not sure how a Mbuna, Hap and a river cichlid would do all together. But on the other hand I'm sure the colors of all three together are pretty! What size tank are you moving them into? Good luck!!

Rehoming my jewel and yes I have done alot of research I can keep lab ANC Hap together as long as tank is big enough for them both. Tanks is going to be 125+ gallons and get them some companions so they won't be alone :) in that big tank.

125 would be flippin' sweet!!! What are you rehoming the jewel into? They're pretty cool little African river fish! My friend has a few and they are pretty, fast and energetic!

Do u think that the jewel would be okay with them in that tank? And if I rehome it will be to a pet store or friend cuz my old man said he only wants two big tanks. Our moray eel is getting 30+ gallons and the cichlids are going in the 125+ gallons. Could I keep the jewel and put it in the big tank or will I need to rehome :(

I'm not real sure. Because IMO I wouldn't do the Hap and Lab together. But since you are doing 125 it might be ok to put the Jewel with the others'. Maybe someone here will have better advice. They are all African Cichlid but just different environments.

Yeah I know I was reading some stuff the other nite that said any African can go with any African, as long as the had a big enough tank for territory for the different fish. I don't know I will do more research before I rehome I really wanna keep all my babies :)

Chasnkevin4ever said:
Yeah I know I was reading some stuff the other nite that said any African can go with any African, as long as the had a big enough tank for territory for the different fish. I don't know I will do more research before I rehome I really wanna keep all my babies :)
That's really not the case at all, they should be separated by lake and by group, Haps,Mbuna, peacocks ect. Sometimes it will work other times you'll end up with dead fish. I don't take the chance and keep them separate.

When you spend $12-25 bucks per fish its best to take precautions.

The blue Hap is the only one that costed me a pretty penny. The other two got from petsmart and they didn't cost much at all and the lady said that they would be fine with my Hap. I was misinformed like always I will get something done pretty quick so no one gets hurt they get along fine right now but they are babies.

I would listen to anything this guy says when it comes to cichlid, Mogurako is very helpful!

Back
Top Bottom