Large but overcrowded? Discus video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khalix

Aquarium Advice Freak
Found this through big al's online via facebook.. now, I am probably way off base here. I know it's a large tank. 240g. But doesn't that just seem like way too many fish? Or does it just work out somehow? The water seems to be pristine, but it seems the fish could really barely move around if they wanted.

YouTube - ‪Tuan's 240 Gallons Planted Discus Tank‬‏

Since 5-6 discus can live happily in a 75 gallon, I'd feel comfortable putting about 15-20 in this size aquarium. So yeah, I'd agree it looks a little overstocked... but the fish seem happy...

I agree. Discus each need a minimum of ten gallons swimming room, and I counted twenty four discus in there. It's overstocked. Plus angelfish and discus are not a good duo usually.

Yea but no but..Are them fish wearing Adidas shell suits? :rolleyes:
Get them fishes some welfare, yea.. GIVE IT SOME.. Boombox..etc... :ROFLMAO:
Overcrowding is an understatement.:nono:

Obviously you guys are free to comment as you wish, but I am not sure I would offer up unsolicited advice. The tank might be a bit overstocked, but we don't know what kind of filtration he is running, and what their experience level is. My guess is they know a bit about aquariums since they are running a 240 gal discus tank... not too many beginners would start there.

There are many ways to do things in this hobby, and no one has the corner on the exact way a tank should be kept.

fort384 said:
Obviously you guys are free to comment as you wish, but I am not sure I would offer up unsolicited advice. The tank might be a bit overstocked, but we don't know what kind of filtration he is running, and what their experience level is. My guess is they know a bit about aquariums since they are running a 240 gal discus tank... not too many beginners would start there.

There are many ways to do things in this hobby, and no one has the corner on the exact way a tank should be kept.

Oh didn't take that into consideration....maybe I should delete the comment...should I?

Yea but no but..Are them fish wearing Adidas shell suits? :rolleyes:
Get them fishes some welfare, yea.. GIVE IT SOME.. Boombox..etc... :ROFLMAO:
Overcrowding is an understatement.:nono:

I'm going to give myself some flak.
I was giving a lot of flak about the tank/fish conditions.. BUT, I have also seen someones tank with Discus.. They don't seem to need much space. they seem to stay quite docile..

IMO, I hate what I am seeing, and what I HAVE seen from a friend.
My humour was from" Little Britain", so might not be understood.x

It does look clear and pretty, but yeah it's a bit crowded. It looks like if you just walked in and turned the lights on in the morning *they would get startled* and create a TSUNAMI,...*water sloshing everywhere....fog-horn in the background* :)

I agree completely but we are better safe than sorry.

Commenting on his stocking is a bit unwarranted in this situation, it's not like he is asking for advice. And like fort said, there are a lot of unknowns. The fish look healthy, and the dollar value on those fish alone is probably several times more than what most people have invested in their complete setups, so I'd just leave him to it.

It does look clear and pretty, but yeah it's a bit crowded. It looks like if you just walked in and turned the lights on in the morning *they would get startled* and create a TSUNAMI,...*water sloshing everywhere....fog-horn in the background* :)
LOL!:lol:

Back
Top Bottom