Large green zoanthid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scotteod

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I found on local reef dive in S. Florida...

It's about an inch across and has already propagated a smaller one, which drifted off and attached on another rock.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Attachments

• august06_072s_126.jpg
    august06_072s_126.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 21
After reading this post, are you getting these directly from the ocean? If so, you could possibly be introducing problems into your tank, if these creatures are not QT'ed. Sorry I can't help on the ID, but maybe some others could add a bit of advice on QT'ing from the ocean, like lighting acclimation, plus salinity and such.

Yep. Directly from the ocean...
I've heard about the potential problems, but my whole tank is pretty much a "straight from the ocean" tank.
I have a sump/refuge where I put things if they're acting too agressive or looking sick. I've put things back (in the ocean) a few times. (I'm 3 blocks from the water)

I have a pencil urchin and arrow crab I picked up from the reef that are going back home today. The urchin has toppled a few things in the display tank, so I moved him to the refuge. Since then, he's been merrily munching every bit of macro algae and sponge off the live rock...

The arrow crab seems cool by day... But I suspect him in the death of a few small fish in the display. He's in the refuge too, until he gets sent home.

Since I only have a 30g tank, I figure that whatever I bring back can't cause too much damage... What can I say? I'm a newbie optimist. It'll probably burn me eventually, though.

But I suspect him in the death of a few small fish in the display.
They are known to take out smaller fish and some inverts.
Do you keep your tank's parameters the same as the ocean? Just curious, be careful and QT your new critters before introducing them to your main...just to be safe.

Roka,

I keep the tank a little on the warm side: 82-84F (local ocean temp +/-)
I do water changes with local ocean water.
I try to keep the PO4 and N as low as possible (with water changes, mainly)

When I do collect something, I usually pick a very small invert or fish. That way, I figure there's less chance of introducing something that could cause a lot of damage or take over the tank. If I see behavior that is too agressive, the specimen goes into my sump to isolate it, and then right back in the ocean the next time I go out.

It's worked for me so far... Maybe just newbie luck.

If this Protopalythoa grandis stays happy, maybe I'll try propagating it and selling them back to the local stores... Make some of my $$ back?

Sounds like things are working out for you!

That is amazing! I wish I could have the resource to do that. Although, I have enough stress sorting critters from purchased LR..LOL

BTW, not trying to get on your case but I am interested. Is this legal, to pick critters from the ocean?

Good question. I looked it up before I started collecting.

Florida recreational limits on "ornamental tropical fish and plants":
1. no more than 20 fish (except angelfish, limit 5)
2. no more than 6 octocoral colonies
3. no more than 1 gal plants (macroalgae)

There's also a list of prohibited items and places. Basically, no SPS corals, queen conchs, urchins, or live rock. No harvesting from state parks.

Not too bad. And I agree with the prohibited list, personally. (Although I wish there was some way to pick up broken off SPS frags and small pieces of live rock to seed my tank with...)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom