Large regular shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

produceb

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone have any experience with using a large shrimp such as the type you eat or use for bait to help cycle a tank, or even leave in a tank after that. I put two large shrimp in my tank help cycle- left over bait from my dock. I got a bloom of brown algae over the weekend because I had something come up quickly and had to leave town right away, without turning lights off (need timer will have today). My 2 shrimp burrow in the sand during the day, but when I turned off the light last night, one came out molted and ate almost all the diatoms off the sand and they both do excellent moving the sand around. Any down falls with leaving them in there? I only have live rock now will be adding coral and fish shortly. I only put fish in I catch myself and the weather as been cold and rough for diving. But I will be in the bahamas in 2 weeks to catch a few fish. Will be buying small pieces of coral shortly. Thanks

Check this page for Articles http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_cat.php?fldAuto=2. I would check out the fishless cycle and the nitrogen cycle. I cycled my tanks using fresh, raw, unseasoned shrimp, from my grocery store. I would also invest in a test kit, so you can see how your cycle is coming along. If you are just starting your cycle, those live shrimp might not make it, as they are sensitive to poor water conditions. I think, if you are seeing diatoms, you are, possibly, near the end of your cycle.
How long have you been cycling?

I have been cycling for almost a month now, using live rock and these 2 large live shrimp. they are 4-5 inches long. they seem to be doing great since one as molted. They spend the day buried with only there eyes poking out of the sand. I was wondering if there was any reason to take them out.

I don't know what they are (picture?) but if they are that big they will most likely kill any small fish you put in the tank.

I agree, molting and diatoms, sounds like a healthy tank. Pics would also help.

When they are talking about adding shrimp they are talking about dead cocktail shrimp. Letting them decompose to start your cycle. How big are these live ones in your tank.

I know about the dead ones, i just wanted to try with these large ones since I had them left over from my snook bait. They are 4-5 inches. Same kind you eat, just alive. I will test my tank today and probably take out to be safe. They just seem to do real well at keeping the sand clean and moved around. Just checking if any one had any experience with these.

I dont have those kind but I do have the blood shrimp in my tank. He`s probably about 3 inches long.

Wow....that is a new approach on the shrimp method. I've never heard of anyone using live cocktail shrimp. I have no idea...but just thought I would chime in...

That sure is a new way of cycling a tank that I've heard of... I wasn't paying attention when first reading this topic and was wondering "huh, the shrimps woke up and ate the diatoms??" LoL

5" shrimps sound pretty big to me. I'd be afraid they'd eat the fish you put in there. Do you know what kind of shrimp they are other than the cocktail variety?

I'm not sure the name of them, but I know what he's talking about. I live on the panhandle coast of FL & buy them all the time for bait or for cooking out. They are just plain old shrimp...you can get them for 3 or 4 dollars a dozen live.

Exactly, I took them out to be safe, could not bring myself to use them for bait. Let them go free, even thou I have a bait bucket full off my dock, I use everyday. This two seemed to do a good job for me. I seem to have cycled and added a few coral frags and a cleaner crew. I will catch some fish when weather gets better. Thanks for the help.

In my area I can always get a queen and french angel, a few coral banded shrimp. I may try a banded butterfly(hard to get the wild butterflys to eat in my experience). Then it is hit and miss after that, I sometimes see spanish hogfish, wrasses, gobies etc. I am going to the Bahamas on the 16th weather depending so I will have many more options there. I will get a rock beautty, and then whatever else I see that tickles my fancy. I know they are all diffucult with the corals. I only bought a few chep frags for this reason. I really enjoy the fish catching first. I like to catch the very small angels, more color and easier to train what to eat and I can get a few more. I will swap them out when they get bigger. This is my plan anyways. I have not had a tank or been catching fish for many years , growing up I always had a full tank and sold quite a few fish to the LFS. I am going to Hawaii for my honeymoon in March and have done some research on a dive there, then shipping them back. I have got conflicting info on if this is legal. I have a e-mail from one deparment over there saying it was legal, so I saved that to get me out of trouble if they catch my package.

Back
Top Bottom