LARGE tumor like bump under gill. Urgent help needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FFEMT58

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a male Festive Cichlid who has a large tumor like growth under his gill (pics attached) I just noticed this today. He has never had any other problems and iv had him 4 years. My tank is well kept and all my levels are normal. I have just done a 50% water change and added some aquarium salt as well as raise the temp 2 degrees. Im not sure if its a parasite or a growth. there is a small white noodle like thing coming out of the middle of the growth about the length of a grain of rice. Anyone help is appreciated.

photo2cx.jpg

photo3awt.jpg

here is a better photo. I cant tell if there is puss coming out or if it is some type of parasite. The growth is a little bigger then the standard marble.

photo8zz.jpg

That's not anchor worms or any other parasite, it's a thyroid tumor which is usually incurable. The only remedy which may work is potassium iodide, this can be bought at vitamin stores in liquid form, then soak the pellets and feed until the swelling subsides. I'd also use Epsom salts dosed at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons, as this will help draw some moisture from the infected area. Otherwise pristine water conditions with nitrates maintained below 5ppm(near zero is better) and feed high quality foods such as NLS that contain enough essential vitamins.

Last edited:
That's not anchor worms or any other parasite, it's a thyroid tumor which is usually incurable. The only remedy which may work is potassium iodide, this can be bought at vitamin stores in liquid form, then soak the pellets and feed until the swelling subsides. I'd also use Epsom salts dosed at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons, as this will help draw some moisture from the infected area. Otherwise pristine water conditions with nitrates maintained below 5ppm(near zero is better) and feed high quality foods such as NLS that contain enough essential vitamins.

Is this something that may kill my fish? Or should it swell down.

Back
Top Bottom